Harvest

Last night left me feeling uneasy about today. I already hated the fact we were offered up as gifts to the wolves. But last night really opened my eyes to their world. We as humans have always had limited contact with the beasts. The only lycanthrope I have ever had the privilege of meeting was the security guard at the hospital, Carson, and he didn't even like me.

I took my hair, placing it into a low ponytail after taking a shower. Brushing my teeth, I started packing my backpack. Every 'harvest girl,' was allowed to bring one backpack filled with whatever they wanted. I didn't waste much room for clothes, only packing a few t-shirt, shorts and jeans. However, I packed plenty of bras and underwear. I took a family photo off my nightstand like I did every year.

This was the last family photo, involving my father. We looked like the 'Brady Bunch,' our smiles as cheesy as can be. I missed him. I missed his smell, hickory, with hints of pine. I missed his big arms, hugging me with such love. I missed his laugh when he would monkey around with me. I miss looking into his deep blue eyes, seeing the love a father holds for his daughter.

I missed him.

Skylee looked to be around twelve in this photo, a fake smile upon her lips. The cheesiness oozed from the photo, but it was all I had left of him. My mother however, looked radiant, her hair styled to the side, looking like a trophy wife. She looked stunning standing next to my father, smiling.

I slid the photo and frame, into my bag, tucking it in with my clothes. I needed to keep it protected. I grabbed my favorite book, from my shelf, Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice. The paperback book was so worn and torn that the book was starting to fall apart. Corners creased, cover fading, but still the same great story.

We were advised to never pack bathroom essentials.  But I threw my toothbrush and toothpaste in, just in case. I didn't want to live like an animal. With Skylee going to school to be a veterinarian, I often helped her study learning a few things of my own. If these wolves were like dogs, they had sensitive senses. Smell, taste, emotions, touch, hearing, all more enhanced than your average mundane human. I'm sure they would smell my toothpaste from a mile away.

I threw in a pair of flip flops and thin-soled tie shoes. I also put a picture of Justin and I in my bag, placing it next to my family photo. Also throwing in a large bottle filled with ibuprofen, Advil, and Tylenol. I packed it to the rim, you never know when you will need a painkiller. I grabbed a rolled bandage wrap, tossing it in as well. Thinking maybe a razor wouldn't be a bad idea, I threw that in too. I still had room, but what to put in it?

I went to my mother's room, taking the pillowcase from her pillow. I threw that in my bag as well. Scent is after all a trigger for memories. I needed that, something to remind me of her. I went back to my room, placing a pocket knife that belonged to my father in my bag. After all, they said we could pack whatever we wanted.

Skylee knocked on my bedroom door frame. "You ready for the unknown?" She asked, annoyed and agitated, yet anxious and kaput.

I zipped up my bag, putting it on my shoulder. Skylee and I were dressed in a summer V-neck chevron dress, with quieter sleeves, ten buttons on the front, and a bow tied around the waist. Classic, black, the perfect gift attire, I guess. Paired with our dresses, were black flats. Plain and dull, exactly like these dresses. This was the harvest girl's gift attire specifically selected by the wolves. I guess they liked black.

My mother made us a couple of lunch sandwiches, feeding us before we had to go. She didn't eat with us but sat in silence watching her only children munch. I cleaned up our plates, setting them in the sink for later.

My mother stood at the door, waiting. She wasn't allowed to take us to the harvest. We were picked up by black cars, escorted to make sure every harvest girl was there. Skylee's bag looked like it was overflowing with things. The zipper looked as if it was about to bust, while mine looked somewhat full.