Still Ticklish After All These Years

The year was 1982 and I had just started college. My name is Lisa, and I was eighteen years old at the time. I had just been hired by a film studio as a coffee girl. It was my job to walk around the set and bring hot coffee to the cast and crew. I was excited to be there, and the work was simple, albeit a lot of walking around. Of course, I would have much preferred to have been an actress in the movies...but, oh well.

They were filming a movie about mobsters – I think it was a comedy. On that certain afternoon, they were shooting a scene where the mob holds a man hostage for ransom money or something. The scene took place inside a room enclosed by red brick walls. It was supposed to be the hideout where the mob held their hostage. Lights and cameras were everywhere. I passed out coffee to the director and camera men, and they always told me to keep quiet during shooting. This wasn't a problem for me because I was a very shy person and preferred to keep my mouth shut.

Paul Simon walked up to me and asked for some coffee. I gasped and almost dropped everything on the floor. Paul Simon?! He's in this movie?! I had no idea!

I was a huge fan of Paul Simon. I even had a bit of a crush on him. He looked so handsome with that broad face, wavy brown hair, and deep dark eyes.

With trembling hands, I poured a cup of coffee and gave it to him. My hand brushed against his, and I shivered. My cheeks burned. He smiled slightly, and then walked away while carefully sipping the hot drink. He sat down and waited for shooting to begin.

After fifteen minutes of preparing, the director finally shouted, "ACTION!"

A hush fell over the studio and the actors jumped into their roles.

I was shocked to discover that Paul Simon was actually playing the part of the hostage! The tough guys dragged him into the room. They forced him to sit down and proceeded to restrain him. They tied his hands behind his back and locked his ankles in sturdy, padded stocks. The head mobster wore a fancy black suit, and he scowled to appear mean and intimidating. He was asking questions to Paul and saying infamous lines such as "We have ways to make you talk."

I watched in awe. Paul looked genuinely worried. I knew he had probably been instructed to act nervous for the scene, but he appeared to be scared for real. His restraints looked tight and secure.

The director yelled, "And...CUT!"

Everybody relaxed.

Suddenly, a bell rang out.

"Time for a lunch break!" somebody shouted.

The cast and crew scattered, leaving the set to go out for lunch.

But nobody bothered to let poor Paul out of the stocks! He just sat there, looking shocked as everybody abandoned him for a lunch break. He would have to remain in his predicament until filming resumed.

I felt sorry for him and wanted to untie him, but I was new on this job and didn't want to risk doing anything wrong. We were now alone – just him and me.

I made the decision to go over and chat with him. I approached him, my heart racing and my palms soaked with nervous sweat. He looked up at me with those beautiful brown eyes. I smiled shyly, but he did not smile back. He was nervous and probably uncomfortable.

"H-hi, I'm Lisa."

He forced a polite smile. "I'm Paul Simon."

"I-I know," I stammered, feeling my cheeks burn again. "I-I'm a really big fan. I was at your concert in Central Park last year. It was the best day of my life!"

He paused for a moment before responding. "That's nice."

"I also watched you on Letterman recently."