y u no text back?

I waited for him by the large windows next to the second floor stairwell.

Once I saw his face, I started walking beside him and he gave me a shy smile.

Dirty blonde hair previously combed, but undoubtedly rearranged by his fingertips. Compassionate, but curious hazel eyes. Rectangular glasses perched upon his delicate diamond-shaped nose. Black hoodie and grey sweatpants, casual but still trying. 

That's Jeffrey. My crush/person I'm dating...I think.

What people don't seem to understand is that there is difference between dating someone and being boyfriend and girlfriend. 

The main point of dating is to have fun and get to know someone. Maybe after you've gotten to know each other for a long time, after you've spent countless nights thinking about them, after you've wasted countless minutes sketching their face, there comes a moment when you're thinking, "I think...I think I want to get even closer to this person. I want them to be my significant other, the special person in my life I want to devote my romantic expressions towards."

Significant other being the key word here, that's what distinguishes boyfriend and girlfriend status from dating status. Boyfriend and girlfriend is what people become after they've hugged each other, kissed each other, and maybe even become more intimate with each other. Boyfriend and girlfriend is what you become when you meet up at a decidedly inconspicuous corner in the middle of a school hallway and have some private moments to yourself.

Away from your friends.

Away from the the other people in the commons area.

 Boyfriend and girlfriend is the status, the stepping stone two people are on before one person makes the jump forward and proposes to the other. 

At least to me, this matters. I think it's important to make your feelings clear to someone, even if you're not the most expressive and outspoken person in the world when it comes to telling others how you feel.

I was the first one to take this step forward, and I told Jeffrey that I wasn't comfortable being called his girlfriend. 

I told him that, "It doesn't feel...right yet."

And I could not have wished for a better reply because bless his pure heart, he told me he understood where I was coming from and he reminded his friends to stop using such terms until we decided where we were going with this.

As we made our way through the halls, he talked about the recent math quiz that we had and asked me how I thought I did. 

I shrugged. "Fine, hopefully. There was nothing too hard on it and I could do it fairly easily."

"That's good to hear. I thought it went alright too." he said, grinning with pure relief. 

*thump thump* 

I felt my heart skip a beat as I glanced at his kind expression, the ends of his eyes crinkling softly like origami paper, his golden locks slanting acutely down his face as he turned to look at me with his intuitive eyes, bright and true like brown pearls. 

I saw the door of his math classroom to my left and I felt a wave of sadness overcome me. That door was the one thing that kept us apart, abruptly cutting our time short, slicing our good moments and disregarding them like adopted children. 

"Welp, see ya." I said, a hint of disdain in my voice.

"Mhm," he nodded, holding back his disappointment as he saw me walk away.

~48 minutes later~

"Alright that concludes today's lesson. Make sure you guys do your homework and complete the in-class worksheet. " my math teacher, Mr. Turnfin announced.