Prologue

In 1899, the streets of New York City echoed with the voices of newsies peddling the newspapers of Joseph Pulitzer, William Randolph Hearst and other giants of the newspaper world. On every corner, you saw them carrying the banner, bringing you the news for a penny a pape. Poor orphans and runaways, the newsies were a ragged army without a leader. Until one day, all that changed.

Now I hear you all thinking, 'are you an orphan or a runaway?' Yes, I am, but you will learn more about all of that later. For those of you who are wondering, no, I don't have any friends. I just live all by myself on the streets in Midtown, New York.

I think you may be wondering what I am doing in life. Well, I am a newsie and I help Miss Medda out once in a while when she needs a new background for her shows. Now for those of you who are wondering what a newsie is, a newsie is a boy who sells newspapers. And if you don't know who Miss Medda is, then there is something really wrong with you. But if you really don't know, you just have to wait for the right chapter and find out yourself.

I am of course not the only newsie living in Midtown, that would be quite impossible. The big group of newsies you have here in Midtown are the famous Jack Kelly and his friends. Now Jack is not the leader but he is one of the best, so he is an example for everyone. That's why his friends respect him so much. Besides Jack and his friends, there are a few little groups of 3/4 and a few loners, like me. The reason that I am a loner is that I don't really trust people. I'm sure most of you guys struggle with it too. You know, in the past someone betrayed your trust and now you find it hard to trust people. The other fact that I have no friends is because I'm just socially awkward.

Now you may wonder what my name is. My name is Clara. Clara Anderson, or that used to be my name. I go by Hunter now. I am sure some of you already knew what a newsie was and I can hear you wondering. How are you a newsie, girls aren't supposed to be. Well, nobody knows I am a girl, well except for miss Medda. I wear boys' clothes and I keep my hair tucked inside my hat, so there you go, I am a boy. There is a lot more I can tell you about myself and how I ended up on the streets. And I will tell you all I know in this book. Just not in this chapter. The rest of the story you'll discover in time. For now, just be patient.

-----------------------------------
488 words
(30/05/2020)