Serphira

8/13/16

306 BC

The woman hid in fear behind the locked doors and closed windows of her home, her newborn baby clutched tightly in her arms, possibly for the last time in its short life. No comforting smells or sounds, no other people to keep her company besides the shrinking candle that flickered with a small spark of life.

Hours passed as the woman waited silently in anticipation of the inevitable. When the time came, small footsteps sounded lightly, the steps of a female. When the door crept open to reveal the small family, the woman's eyes widened considerably, and she clutched her daughter even more tightly to her chest before she pleaded in the most desperate voice she could manage, "Please, Witch, spare my child," frantic eyes searched the sorceress' soulless eyes, begging.

The only response from the heartless being was a cruel smirk. "You ask me to spare the child?"

Nodding of the mother's head was the hasty reply.

"The child, who is the result of the intimate action between you and my husband?" Tears trickled out of the child's mother as the witch cackled darkly.

"No, no, I will not spare the child of my husband and his mistress. He will never know of his offspring, and your death will make him suffer like nothing else. Farewell, Elf."

With a wave of the witch's hand, the candle that held a spark of hope for the elvish woman and her child toppled over and set fire to its surroundings. The witch closed the door behind her and performed a spell, trapping the two with the deadly flames. With one last sinister laugh, and an evil smile tossed over her shoulder at the burning cottage, she calmly walked back to her home in the darkness.

Seconds later, after the witch had disappeared, a man bounded forward, breaking the spells placed by the witch, and dashed inside to save his love and child. Using his own powers as a sorcerer, he doused the flames and frantically checked for the woman's pulse. His tears fell as he realized her injuries were too severe even for magic to save.

"Save our child; keep her safe if it's the last thing you do. She's special—part elf, part magic." The man nodded tearfully, promising to fulfill her final wishes.

"Her name, my love?" he whispered to the dying woman.

"Ebony Hope," she replied, as she breathed her last breath.

After several minutes, the man gently brought his child to his chest and cradled her to sleep. Giving his love a kiss on her burning forehead, he left, allowing the flames to consume the house once again.

Walking with purpose, the magician stopped once he reached an orphanage. Cradling his daughter to his chest, he kissed her forehead before placing her on the doorstep and knocking. He quickly fled into the darkness after leaving a notecard pinned to her gown with her name on it. The last words the now orphaned child heard were not meant to be comforting.

"This will protect you from my wife and her year-old son. If they do not know of your existence, you will be safe. Your safety is all I ask for."

******

313 BC

7-year-old Ebony stayed hidden in the shadows as tears decorated her face. She sought safety and comfort from the mean boys in the orphanage, but she received none, for she was the non-human child. Dangerous, unnaturally beautiful, and talented at all she could do, she cried silently as she used her powers to keep others from finding her.

"Hey, what are you doing?"

A boy approached her, startling the halfling. The 8- year-old was curious as to why a girl was crying in the shadows. He was also curious about how spells were even cast in the isolated place.