Dust Edited

02/15/2020

1706 AD

Hazard coughing was heard throughout the empty streets as dust gathered inside the lungs of a young boy. The sound filled up the ears of anyone who walked the dirt path. Most shied away from the noise, but there was one who silently crept towards it.
Sensing a new presence, the boy shuffled to the side. He pressed up against the wall, trying to blend in with his surroundings. Breathing as quietly as he could, the boy got ready for flight. Unexpectedly, a female voice echoed off of the walls of the empty alleyway.

"Boo!"

The reaction the girl got was a scream in a similar pitch to her voice. The sound of the boy falling on his bottom soon followed his yell of shock. When the dust cleared, the boy was met with a girl his age, doubled over in laughter.

He blushed heavily as he realized the situation was not as dangerous as he anticipated. He pushed himself off of the ground and dusted his clothes off. While the girl was busy laughing, he took that moment to assess the new being.

Her short hair was the color of the darkest night, contrasting strongly with her moonlight pale skin. Her two front teeth were a little bigger than the rest, and her clothes were worn. Light freckles lined her nose and eyes, and her figure was small, but lean. When she finally stopped laughing and connected eyes with the boy, he quietly gasped in awe.

Her eyes were the deepest, royal purple the boy had ever experienced. They held lines of gold strings that told times of hardships and wisdom. The dark color matched his moment's of mischief, but unfortunately showed hints of sadness. At that moment, the boy felt like he was drowning, and understood the saying that eyes were windows to the soul.

The girl held out her hand to the boy, unfazed by his dazed expression. Slowly, the boy took her hand in his and gave an exaggerated shake. He told her his name, hoping on the inside that they would stay companions for longer than this moment. He held his breath, his heart beating wildly as she smiled prettily at him, grinning in delight.

"Syha." She chimed.

******

1709 AD

"On your left!" A bell like voice yelled.

Syha's warning prepared the boy for the threat coming his way. In a flash, the boy had kicked away his current opponent and faced the new one. It was made of dust, and resembled a swirling mass of sand heading straight towards him.

Dropping his weapons, the boy pushed his hands out and manipulated the wind currents. A spark electrified his body as he called upon his power. Within seconds, the dust monster was no more. When the boy turned, his previous opponent was sand on the floor, courtesy of Syha. Both children paused for breath before grinning at each other. Sand covered his shaggy brown hair, falling to the ground as he shook his head roughly. Syha's purple pupils grabbed his grey ones, holding a colossal amount of mirth. He laughed, holding up his hand for a high five, receiving a firm response.

"Raen, you're such a cheater." Syha complained playfully, "you're not supposed to use your gifts."

He grinned at her, still panting a little as he said,"there are no rules for practice."

The girl rolled her eyes,"practice is meant to help your skills, if you cheat, then there's no point in practicing."

The boy mocked her childishly and stuck his tongue out. Syha stomped her foot in annoyance and crossed her arms. Raen mimicked her, not saying a word. A silence fell on them, but they were both too stubborn to break it.