Chapter 5: Sympathy and Cowardice

I was being dragged down a musty corridor with the occasional splatters of blood. My mouth was gagged by a black cloth and my arms were being forcefully pulled by men in special armor. My legs were dragging on the floor as I had already given up resisting against them.

What is all of this? Why am I here?

My mind was so confused. I never wanted to be resurrected. I only wanted to die in peace. All I wanted to do was go back to my penthouse apartment in New York.

But here I was, in an underground Hell on Earth. Wait no, this wasn't, or at least I don't think so. This is a different world, I'm almost sure of it.

As we continued to go through the dimly lit hallway, a grotesque smell slowly became stronger and stronger. The more we walked, the more sickened I became. It smelled as if someone's trash had been left out then let sit for a year in the blazing sun. I started to breathe through my mouth to alleviate the nauseous feeling in my stomach that had started to develop.

Finally, when we stopped, I saw a door halfway open with blood slowly flowing out underneath it. An ominous aura came out of it. I quickly took a glance inside to see the source of the blood.

I wish I hadn't.

Thousands. No, perhaps tens of thousands. There were bodies stacked on top of each other until they made a pile that reached around 30 feet in the air. Mothers holding their babies. Children clinging to their fathers. Toddlers laying face first on the bloodied concrete floor. There was no end to the bodies. Most had bullet holes through their clothes, but others had bruise marks and cuts. Some women were even naked and were hung on the wall. It was easy to tell what had happened to them.

Hell, this place was indeed Hell.

Before I could find anything else, the guard on my right pulled my arm towards the opposite direction of the bloodied door in favor of the white room across from it. Its room number was 666. The sign of the devil. I thought it was funny that they would knowingly number a room like that.

The inside of room 666 consisted of many tools and beakers. The room was tidy and unnervingly upkept. The whole place seemed eerie compared to the rest of the mysterious compound I was in. In the center of the white laboratory, there was a white bed with straps and a tray of scalpels beside it. The doctor that was different from Boris was already in the room smiled. Covered head to toe with a mask that only revealed the eyes and mouth, it looked as if I was meeting my executioner.

"I have been awaiting your arrival, summoned one. Guards, if you may?"

Just on cue, the guards that were holding me dragged me towards the bed. My arms were strapped in as I tried to scream through the moist black cloth in my mouth. My arms and legs were bound by black leather straps while the doctor just kept eyeing me like I was nothing but a chicken before a slaughterhouse.

No matter how hard I screamed, no matter how hard I tried to get out of the straps, I was helpless. Nothing that I experienced as a Yakuza heir could have prepared me for this outrageous situation. I was a helpless girl that could do nothing.

"Then let's get started shall we?"

After putting on a pair of white gloves, the doctor went to grab a large metal briefcase. When he opened it, a large crystal that reflected an array of brilliant light was unveiled. It felt so pure, yet so powerful at the same time.

"To think that we only needed to sacrifice 10,000 Zermenian scum for this crystal. If we use it on the battlefield, it's capable of killing over 50,000 ground troops. It's amazing what the study of science is capable of. It truly is marvelous. I only wish that we could also collect the mana fragments on the battlefield." He grasped the iridescent crystal and lifted it close to his face with a smile. "It really is amazing. You can't even tell that this came from such lowly people."