8 ➳ you're so ridiculous

JOHNNY ORLANDO

I was fuming. Absolutely fuming.

My teeth were gritted together forcefully. My fists were clenching and un-clenching. All my muscles were tense, coiled like a spring. If I was a cartoon character, my face would have been bright red and there'd be steam coming out my ears.

I ignored the catcalls and teasing remarks that my teammates were throwing at me and shoved everything in my bag at random. I zipped up my bag, threw it onto my back and pulled the finger behind me as I walked out of the locker room. All the boys exploded into laughter, thinking I was joking, but I really wasn't. They'd hit a nerve. An insecurity. And now, I was hopelessly mad and extremely confused about what to do with myself.

The world brightened before me as I came out of the main school building, but I looked up with dismay, eyes burning, to find that big fat drops of water were cascading down towards the ground. Shit. The one person I could have called, I am now extremely mad at. Well, today was really not my day.

With a huff, I started running home, feet pounding against the hard pavement and body throbbing from the intense training we had had this afternoon.

My life sometimes felt as though all it consisted of was football. Football, football, football. Always focused on getting the stupid black and white ball into the stupid frame and net. In between the football, was school. And Kenzie. Shit. I buried that thought back down.

My lungs started heaving down the main road, the last stretch to my house. I was utterly drenched; with rain, with sweat, and with anger. It was almost as if I could feel the stupid emotion radiating off me in waves. I was beyond glad my parents wouldn't be home tonight; I'd definitely need a punching session in the garage. Or sex. My mind recoiled at the thought. Again, I shoved it back down.

When I had almost reached my house, and was about to turn down my street, all the football boys hooned past me in someones car. They tooted, waved like idiots and yelled and laughed at me. I gave them absolutely no attention. Fucktards.

I turned in my driveway, jogging to a stop in the pouring rain, and swept my hair out of my eyes. Was I seeing correctly? Was that Mackenzie's car in my driveway? I swore out loud and then pounded on the front door.

As I expected, Mackenzie opened the door to MY house, grinning. "Surprise!" She said excitedly, making jazz hands.

I grunted. She looked cute, but I wasn't about to tell her that. "Not very. Your cars here." I pushed past her and dumped my stuff in the foyer. I was being an asshole, but the anger made e not care.

The smile fell from her face and she went all shy. "Bad practice?" She bit her lip.

"My teammates decided to enlighten me with some really shitty information today. Fucking pricks." I cursed, turning away from her and walking through the hall.

To my dismay, she followed and ignored my previous statement. "In the nicest possible way, you smell like ass." She called out behind me.

"I smell like fucking wet dog, I know."

She scoffed at me. "What nice colourful language you're using today." Sarcasm dripped from her tone. I wasn't in the mood for it. I didn't reply, just plonked myself down on my couch in such a way that she couldn't get anywhere near me.

"Jesus, John. Go have a shower. You smell and you're shivering."

I narrowed my eyes, accentuating my words. "Fine, I'll go. But I'm still mad at you." I got off the couch and stalked to the bathroom.