~ five ~

I pack up my bag slowly. It's like the stress is actually manifesting itself into physical exhaustion, I yawn. Just a few more days, I remind myself. A few more days and then I'll be home for four weeks, without pesky Biochemistry notes keeping me awake at night. As I fumble to put all my notebooks into my backpack, I knock my iced coffee off the table, staining the carpet floor and my jeans. "Shoot,"

I quickly grab a fistful of thin napkins from the dispenser at the center of the table. Curse these environmentally friendly napkins for being so thin, I think to myself as I push the thin paper into the carpet.

"Need a hand?" My own hand jolts to a stop at his voice. CJ's voice.

"Hi," I whisper, falling back on my knees as I gaze up at his tall figure. I take in his warm, one dimpled smile and pretty eyes slowly, unsure on how to proceed having so adamantly rejected his offer of a date.

"How've you been?" He kneels beside me, placing more napkins over the mess without hesitation.

"Good," I lie quickly. "Maybe a little stressed," I admit to him, only because I know it's written clearly across my face. As he cleans the floor, I begin pressing the napkins into my jeans, hoping to remove some of the sticky residue.

He chuckles, "How much longer are you here for?"

"Only till Friday," I respond. "My last final is in the morning... You?"

"I never really leave." CJ stands, helping me to my feet. At my questioning stare, CJ adds, "I live off campus, remember? I'm allowed to stay in my apartment."

"Oh," I mutter lamely, shifting my backpack on my shoulders.

"Sorry about your coffee," CJ grimaces at the floor. "I can get you another, if you want." He stares directly in my eyes and for some reason, perhaps the studying induced exhaustion, I agree. The smile on his face immediately makes the decision worth it.

We walk in silence all the way to the cafe in the student center, but he holds every door open for me to pass through. We stand in line quietly, and I squint to see the menu. I'll need something with extra caffeine to keep me up tonight. "What would you like?" CJ's voice breaks up my thoughts as we stand in front of the register. I order the first option I see with "espresso" in the description. "On me," CJ winks, handing cash over to the student worker.

"Thanks, again. It seems like you're always showing up at the right time," The words are out of my mouth before I can stop them. I look at him timidly, greeted by a smug expression on his face. I look away quickly, sipping the too hot coffee, just for something to distract myself with.

"I don't want to be here," CJ shakes his head, taking in the chaos of stressed out zombie students, madly flipping through textbooks and talking to each other about their unpreparedness.

"Hm?" I take in the sight, as well, feeling guilty for each minute that passes without a book in my hands.

"Let's go somewhere else." CJ looks down at me eagerly.

"What are you... where do you want to go?" I ask shyly, feeling the normal sense of unease I get whenever CJ asks me to do something with him.

"I know a spot, if you're up for a little adventure." His eyes twinkle as he bites his bottom lip in that shy expression of his.

"Adventure?" I mumble uncertainly, feeling the weight of all the studying I need to do, literally on my back.

"If you're too busy, I understand." CJ's face falls only a bit before he composes himself into one of his friendly smiles. But the words I used when I turned him down the first time still sting.