3. A Slight Detour: God

Readers, please note that you can directly access the links mentioned in the chapter by clicking on them under the comment titled 'AUTHOR'S NOTE' beside each paragraph where a website is mentioned.

• • •

Before we take a close look at Jesus and understanding who he is in relation to us, I want us to try to understand who he is, period.

Jesus is God.

But if you're read a bit of the Bible or have hung out with Christians, you may have heard that the Father is God, and the Holy Spirit is God. This is all true.

The Son, the Father and the Holy Spirit are distinct persons of one God—YAHWEH. God is and was and always will be. And so, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Spirit have always been one, always been God. This doesn't mean that they're each other; the Father is not the Son, and the Son is not the Holy Spirit.

It's a concept difficult to understand but not too difficult to believe. Do you believe that one plus one is two? But what is one? What is plus? What is two?

God is mysteriously three distinct persons but one God at the same time and space. You may not understand this–you can't. I'm convinced that we're completely incapable of fully comprehending God. But it is the truth. So believe it.

God the Father is the head, and has authority over the Son. In our world, the opposite of the one in authority is the one with the displeasure of having to obey, the weakling. This world hates authority.

And yet everything would fall apart if we didn't have it. Just think of what happens when your teacher walks out of the room: either the class keeps quiet in fear that he/she will soon return, or all chaos breaks loose.

In a perfect God, submission is neither weak nor inspired by fear.

God the Son is the one through whom everything was created, and He also serves to bring salvation to all who believe in him. Jesus's obedience to the Father and our salvation are directly connected to one another; if Jesus had not obeyed, we would all be perishing.

To be fair, if Jesus had not obeyed, he would not have been Jesus.

The Holy Spirit is the Hand of God, the personal presence of God in all Christians. He seals their salvation. This means that he is the evidence that someone is truly Christ's. If the Holy Spirit does not dwell in you, you are not Christ's. If you are Christ's, the Holy Spirit will dwell in you. He comforts believers. He aligns the heart of a believer with the heart of God. When believers sin, he is grieved by them. He loves them, and he never leaves them (John 14:26 "And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you.")

What does the Bible say about the Trinity?

I will tell you that I have yet to encounter one verse that speaks outrightly of the Trinitarian nature of God. But if you've read a bit of the Bible, you'll see the theme recurring. The nature of God seems to be a constant resonating just underneath the superficial layer of the Bible.

Here are a few verses to prove that God is three-in-one:

1 Corinthians 8:6a "yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist."
Colossians 2:9 "For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form."
2 Corinthians 3:17 "Now the Lord is Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom."

For more verses on God's nature, check out this link: https://www.biblestudytools.com/topical-verses/bible-verses-about-the-trinity/

What verses prove the authority of God the Father over the Son?