Dreamer

Even as a little boy, Konan Beck longed to discover others. His favorite toys were spaceships and his favorite movies were about aliens—the nice kind. The walls were lined with shelves brimming with conspiracy theory books and UFO sightings. Konan's ceiling was beautifully decorated with glow-in-the-dark stars, which he had proudly arranged into actual constellations.

It was nighttime, and little Konan was already snuggled in bed with his favorite fluffy moon man plush. His parents sat at the foot of the bed, about to kiss him goodnight.

"Mommy? Do you think there's aliens out there?" Konan asked, his eyes too wide to be sleepy.

Konan's mother looked down at her child thoughtfully and replied, "Anything like that is possible with a little science and a little imagination."

"And Daddy?" the boy waved his father over.

With a smile, his father leaned forward. "Yeah, son?"

"Can I have a telescope for my birthday?"

"Asking again!?" his father laughed. His wife smacked his arm and glared at him, and he instantly became stern.

"We'll see, bud. We could maybe build one. Or a rocket. That I can build!"

Konan smirked slyly. He knew his parents had already bought one; they were just playing dumb.

Konan yawned as his parents each gave him a kiss on his freckled cheeks. He gave them a tiny wave as they shut off the lights and shut the door.

~~~

A few weeks later, it was a very special day for Konan in more ways than one. It was May 4, his ninth birthday, and "Bring Your Parents to School" Day.

Konan didn't want to admit it aloud, but he loved showing off his parents to his friends. His mother, Dr. Connie Xing-Beck was a biology professor with impressive art skills; his father, Professor Sean Beck, was a NASA engineer with a humor to match his intellect. Konan proudly went on stage to tell the whole world that he loved his parents, they loved him back, and that all three of them would live in space and talk to aliens some day.

When the Becks returned home, a chocolate birthday cake and a shiny new telescope stood together on the dinner table.

~~~

It had been a few months since his birthday, and Konan constantly wondered why he now spent most of his weeks at Granny Xing's mansion. When his parents came for him, he noticed that they stayed quiet—too quiet. His father now ate dinner in his office, his mother was always on the phone or doing paperwork, and neither of them listened to Konan's theories anymore.

Then, it happened. One Saturday, his father told him to choose his absolute favorite things from his books, toys, and prize science equipment, because he was going on a vacation to Granny's. Konan didn't find it odd; it was nearly the end of July, and he'd spent his last few days of freedom there before. The boy did as he was told, choosing only the best to take with him and shoving it all in his galaxy-themed suitcase. He left his room and excitedly pranced to the front door.

His mother had just finished carefully returning the telescope to its box and putting it in the back of the car.

Once he'd buckled up, Konan asked his parents, "Are we gonna go together?"

His father responded with a slightly annoyed sigh. "No, son. Just you. I have a long business trip that just came up."

"Oh. Hey, Mommy, remember you promised to help me with my science fair next year. My teacher suggested I read up over summer," Konan tried to keep up the conversation as the car drove on.

"Your grandma is an astrophysicist; she can handle it," she answered tensely and without turning around like she normally did. 

"But I wanted to put a hamster in an actual rocket!" Konan whined, "And then see how long it'll take for the moon men to come out and pet it. . ."

"Konan, for Galileo's sake, drop the aliens topic!" his father groaned, vexed.

"But you two said we'd build a rocket and go meet 'em together," the boy mumbled in return.

"Sweetie,"Dr. Beck tried to reason with Konan and calm him down in one move, "You're nine now. You understand more. I said that you needed imagination because there is simply no way they exist."

"But we could try and find some," Konan's voice was flatter than fact.

"Oh look, we're here," his father interrupted as they pulled into the driveway of the sleek, futuristic mansion.

Konan nodded dejectedly, grabbed his suitcase, and trudged up to the porch. He looked into the peephole.

Iris acknowledged. Konan Beck. Passcode verification required.

"Area 51," Konan sighed. He smoothed his jet black hair as the door automatically swung open.

His parents followed closely behind with a few more suitcases and the telescope box.

Grandma Xing gave a little nod of acknowledgement to each as they came into the kitchen. Konan noticed the exchange of sad, knowing glances among the adults. His parents slipped two envelopes into Grandmother's hand. First his mother, then his father came up to him and gave him a hug. Konan knew they still loved him, but he also felt that something was holding them back from kissing him, or ruffling his hair, or telling him to dream on.

"See you on the other side of the black hole," Konan looked up at both his parents before they left.

"See you there," said his parents halfheartedly.

Konan walked to the huge kitchen window, tapped on the smart glass to make it transparent, and watched his parents drive off into the golden afternoon.

Grandma Xing walked up behind Konan and wordlessly wrapped her arm around him. Even when Becks' blue Tesla was long gone, they both stayed there, contemplating.

"How about we have an Ancient Aliens marathon?" Grandma smiled at last. "E.S.T.H.E.R., get some popcorn in the microwave," she ordered. 

"You hate Ancient Aliens, Nainai," Konan looked up at her quizzically.

"I can make some sacrifices," she chuckled.

A few minutes later, they both lay on the couch, watching Konan's favorite show.

~~~

That was the last time that Konan saw his parents together, and the last time he'd see his old home.

All hail Chapter One! Thanks for bearing with my chaos.