Even a Child

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. . .

"I do not think that I have ever come for a child of a senator," remarked Master Shaak Ti to her fellow Jedi as they both stepped down from a transport shuttle.

"By odds alone, it was bound to happen," shrugged the other woman.

"Adi Gallia, have you ever noticed just how many of your old master's sayings you blurt out?" Master Ti smiled playfully.

"Master Windu taught me well," Gallia pointed out in her defense.

"And we will find someone to teach this one just as well," Shaak's voice lowered thoughtfully. She looked down at the Togruta toddler contentedly dozing in her arms.

"You, perhaps? You are the same species," suggested Master Gallia, stretching out her arms for a turn with the child.

"It is not my say any longer," said Master Ti, carefully handing the little one over to the Tholothian Jedi. "It is the say of the entire Council."

"Of course. I had forgotten how war turns everything on its head—even us," Master Adi narrowed her eyes.

The two Council Masters soon left the ship hangar and entered the nursery. A few other newcomers of different species were already taking in their surroundings or talking with other children. When Gallia and Ti entered the room, their youngling was still fast asleep.

Master Yoda came up to the two women, genuinely beaming. He'd greeted younglings for centuries prior and was not about to break the habit.

"Little one," Shaak gently tapped the little girl's shoulder.

The girl woke up almost instantly, confused that Master Ti wasn't the one holding her anymore. Adi set her down in front of the small green Grand Master. She yawned, looked around curiously, and noticed Yoda standing in front of her.

The little girl quickly decided that Master Ti's robes were much safer than whatever was standing in front of her and scurried behind the adult Togruta.

"Greetings, small one," the ancient Jedi stepped back, still smiling. "Master Yoda I am."

Shaak gathered her robe so the youngling wouldn't have anywhere to hide. She nudged the little girl forward. The child looked back at Master Ti for assurance, and stepped up to Yoda after getting a nod of confirmation.

"I'm Zawa," the child said softly. "Pweased to meet you."

"She means 'Zara,' Master," smirked Master Gallia.

Yoda let out a raspy little chuckle. "Also pleased to meet you I am. The Jedi Temple this is, and your teacher I shall be."

"What's a Jedi?" Zara asked, feeling bolder.

"A servant of the Light Side he is. Good he must be. Balanced his mind is. Eventually, learn the Jedi Way you will, little one," Yoda replied with insight.

Zara nodded, confused, but interested. "Mama and Papa a'gonna watch me, wight?"

Yoda, Adi and Shaak exchanged knowing glances.

"See them again one day, maybe, you might," Master Yoda dipped his head to the girl.

"Follow us," the Togruta master looked down at the little girl of her race. Used to instructions, Zara followed, looking around at the few artworks hanging over the nursery, dodging the few medical droids that wandered around, and eavesdropping the ensuing conversation.

"One of these days she will run into her parents," Adi Gallia warned. Any possibility of a breach in the Jedi Code sent her into serious mode.

"And? It happens," Shaak Ti commented, unusually nonchalant.

"Attachments, Master Ti," retorted Gallia.

"If Zara listens to Master Yoda's instruction, I am confident she will guard her emotions," the Togruta looked down at the tiny green Jedi, hoping for some kind of reply.

"Learn in due time, she will. To the rest of the Council this one must be shown. With her the other new younglings will go." His slow, shuffling totter bounced a little when he thought of the new little ones.

Zara silently wondered why the adults were being so reserved. She was used to being fawned over. However, the small Togruta also noticed the warm glances she was getting from the Jedi she passed. She couldn't help but gawk at the many weird masters and apprentices that milled past her. A few of the passersby chuckled at the wonder in her eyes.

The child scrambled after the three Jedi as they led her to a small room complex adjoining the nursery.

"Your quarters, little one," Master Gallia explained.

Master Ti opened the sliding doors, and Zara bowled inside.

The room was plain, with only one wide window in a sleek metal frame. Five smoothly made beds were lined up across from the window. At the foot of each was a folded set of dull clothes. The simple floor was adorned only by a brown mat with the Jedi emblem woven into it in cream thread.

The three adults left Zara alone to look around.

~~~~

"Heliost Clan, beginning tomorrow, your class will begin combat training. You will be given your own informal holochrons to record your thoughts." Master Plo Koon smiled under his mask at the children lined up before him. Everyone was bouncing on their toes, but the young female Togruta—Zara, he remembered—seemed more curious than excited. "Your journey in the ways of the Force has never been wider, nor the prospects brighter. Congratulations, young ones," he nodded.

The seven-year-olds cheered, and no adult stopped them for once. After four years of oohing and aahing at the teenage Padawans while they sparred, the younglings would finally be allowed to hold a real lightsaber—under supervision.

Each child chose their holochron and dashed to their shared rooms, barely hearing Master Plo's reminder to meditate before supper.

~~~~

Zara sat down on the mat in the center of her room. The four younglings she shared a room with plopped down beside her. This would be their fourth meditation of the day, but who could concentrate after such great news?!

In practiced synchronization, the children inhaled and shut their eyes. Weakly, they started to recite the Jedi code.

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.

A few seconds of antsy silence later, the entire room burst into snickers.

"Jes'a said 'severity' instead of 'serenity'!" somebody giggled.

"Look who's talking! You forgot the beginning, Sai Le!" the offended Twi'lek glared at the spunky Rhodian girl sitting next to her.

"I'm trying to focus!" Zara groaned.

"I'm leaving," huffed a Zabrak male, his concentration shattered beyond repair.

Most of the others nodded and followed him out of the room to find something to do while dinner was served.

Zara decided she would test out her holochron, since meditating was impossible now.

She switched on the small recorder and began, "So, um. . . Master Plo told me I should talk to this recorder thingy."

All the baby Jedi fluff! While I wrote this, I took a quiz to determine what species I am in the Galaxy, and my answer was Togruta, so—happiest coincidence of my life!
Thanks to moseisley (Jes'a) and Silentx13 (Sai Le) for being awesome supporters of my Star Wars fic.