Chapter 17 : The First Clue

"We're here Madam Vice President." Agent Brock announced. The two SUVs stopped to a halt in front of the main gates of Number One Observatory Circle, the official resident of the Vice President of the United States, the place I am supposed to stay at. Christmas is coming and because of this the house is decorated according the holiday season. Beautiful garlands were strung up at the porch and fairy lights were hung on the trees. A Christmas wreath hung on the door with a pair of bells below it. Still I have no mood to celebrate Christmas.

Bruce and Richard got out first, him helping me out because of the injury to my left arm. Removing the set of keys I walked up the porch and unlocked the door. Before I can enter a white furred husky jumped up to me, licking my face with it's tongue. I laughed a bit and sets the husky down. "Hey boy." I say. Gently patting him I rubbed his fur. Christian became thinner these days, must be the guys that didn't fed him enough. Barrowman helped dad enter the house and he whistles at the husky.

"Here boy!" dad said, whistling. Christian barked at him and looked at him with puppy eyes. I gently shooed the dog into the house and his close friend helped him to sit down on the couch. Dressed in a sweater and jeans he was more of a normal person rather than the President of the United States.

"Christian!" I called out, placing a dish of dog food on the floor. Christian barked at Bruce and our ragtag bunch except Barrowman and Brock. "You okay?" I ask as I sat down beside dad.

"As long as I don't involve in extreme activities I'll be fine." he said. "Here boy!" Christian stopped barking and scampered towards dad. "You're thinner than usual boy." he say, petting the husky.

"Maybe the caretaker didn't give him enough food?" Barrowman asked him while rubbing the dog's fur.

"Since when did you have a husky sir?" Julius popped the question.

"Since I have an addition to the family, my daughter. I thought that a dog could keep her company when I'm not around."

"You didn't tell the media dad?" I ask.

"I did." he said, frowning. Silently Barrowman placed the briefcase on the table and unlocked it. Inside the briefcase papers of the investigation are in there, including records of the victims' particulars. "So now what do we have?" he asks.

"Maybe Cooper has some 'leads'." the director said, turning on the TV. CNN is reporting live from Barcelona but the deputy director of the FBI's photo raised my curiosity. But the headlines brought us bad news : FBI DEPUTY DIRECTOR WINSTON CLAIRE KILLED BY GUNMAN ADMIST BULLFIGHTING FESTIVAL. "Damn it."

"Deputy Director Winston Claire is gunned down by an unknown gunmen during the bullfighting festival in Barcelona. Another American victim claimed by the unknown killer." he reported. "The attack unfolded the same time when Blair House was attacked by extremists. The terrorist group The Rising Jihad claimed responsibility for the attack, but it's no surprise since this group has been America's enemy in the Middle East. We have received news that to protect the Vice President President Reagan was shot in the shoulder while the Vice President herself is also shot in the arm while defending him. The White House's Spokesman confirmed that both the President and Vice President are safe and is recovering in the hospital."

"Well, we know what happened next." dad mused.

"Dylan Reynolds, former Secretary of State to the Wintergreen Administration." I say, withdrawing his photo and the file the photo is clipped with. "Whistle blower of the Wintergreen Administration. Hmm... I need my laptop." After retrieving my laptop whom I secretly asked for Agent Brock to keep it with him I propped the computer on my thighs and started typing. Plugging in the thumb drive I pulled up photos of the murder of the former Secretary of State. "Okay, let's see."

"He died of a stab wound near the Washington Monument." Julius said. "His bodyguards were murdered as well." I nodded and zoomed in on the picture of the wound. "Anything specific?" he asked when he noticed that I was looking at the picture.

"The shape of the knife." I say. "Do we have a forensic report?"

"They have. The Metro PD forensic boys said that the investigators should look out for a knife with a jagged edge."

"The killer removed the weapon already. Tough luck to track down the killer."

"Wait, one more thing. A bystander saw the victim talking to a guy before dropping dead."

"Can we get a hold on the witness?" I ask.

"She said that the guy's wearing a baseball cap, a Nationals one."

"That narrows it down a little." I say. Exiting the photo I entered a database and started narrowing down my list of suspects. "Say, anymore features about the cap?"

"Ah, she does mention that the cap looks pretty worn out." the director said."

"Oh great, I need to edit the photo again." I said.

"What?" dad looked at me.

"I have a tool kit that edits pictures. I used it during my FBI days."

"Can you do it?" he asked.

"There are lots of color for the cap."

"The witness says blue."

"Okay." A few minutes later the eight of us all huddled in front of my computer as the tool kit finished the editing. "This color?" I asked Julius.

"Yeah." the director replied.

"Okay, a rusty blue. Now we just need to compare it against the database of the people who wear this kind of cap."

"Like... how?"

"You'll see Kaitlyn." I said.

"Wait, the witness also said that the killer's cap is S sized."

"Thanks for the tip Julius." I say. Entering the FBI's database I started ploughing through the people who could potentially be the perpetrator. "Oh man, more than one. We have at least ten guys and ten females to sort through."

"Maybe there are more clues from other murders?" Jacobson suggested.

"The forensic reports are coming but not yet apparently."

"Thanks for the good and bad news Julius." I say, making a face at him.