Chapter 13: Cherry Wine

You walked back to the party, neither of you daring to say a word to the other. A tense string stretched between you and Jimin, ready to snap at the slightest touch.

"I will take the carriage," he announced.

Jungkook quietly escorted him, leaving you to ride with the others.

The rest of the journey passed in a blur. Your head buzzing with thoughts and questions, you barely noticed when you arrived before the gates of a sprawling manor standing in the middle of a vineyard. The sun was already setting.

Lord Waymer himself had arrived to welcome you. Stout, round-faced and white-bearded, he looked so different from the image in your head.

"Welcome, Prince Jimin, Princess Y/N," his voice boomed. "It is an honour to have you in my humble abode."

By his side stood a slender woman, her hair in a long braid, auburn and streaked with grey. The wrinkles on her face did nothing to diminish her beauty, and her eyes shone with the wisdom that only age could bring.

Lady Waymer, you thought.

Her eyes scanned you from head to toe, widening as they took in the state of your gown and the breeches that showed through underneath. Then she turned away, beckoning her husband to follow.

Crossing the courtyard, you were led through a set of oaken doors and ornate archways. You emerged into a room with vaulted ceilings and velvet curtains. The elongated table at the centre was laden with bread and meat and wine.

The old man ushered you into your seats. Lord and Lady Waymer sat at the head of the table, and you and Jimin took your places on either side of them. The men sat in the remaining chairs. Famished by the journey, they wasted no time in tucking in. For a while, the clinking of plates and knives and forks were the only sounds to be heard.

You sliced a tiny piece of the cold meat on your plate and nibbled at it. The food should have tempted you. On any other day, you would be eating with a healthy appetite. But something lay heavy on your chest, and you felt like you couldn't swallow a single morsel.

"Try the cherry wine, Your Highness," Lord Waymer urged as he slid a porcelain jug over to you. "It should help with your appetite."

You mumbled a thank you as Lady Waymer filled your cup. The liquid was hot. Mulled wine, you realised. As you held it in your hand, the aroma of cloves and cinnamon rose from it, mingling with the steam. The liquid hit your tongue and you almost let out a sigh.

"How is it, Your Highness?" The man asked.

"It's good," you said, taking another sip. "Better than good."

He smiled, his eyes twinkling.

"That is our speciality, Your Highness. We make the best wines in the country. Our people have mastered the art of winemaking."

"Waymer wines are sought after, even in the capital", Jimin interjected. "Expensive, but well worth it."

"That is kind of you to say, Prince Jimin," Lord Waymer said. "You should try our new variant of this cherry wine. It's better than anything I have ever tasted. You will love it."

"We could have a jug sent to your chamber," Lady Waymer offered.

"I would appreciate that," Jimin replied.

You couldn't eat, that was clear by now. Instead, you sat back in your chair, sipping the wine. Your eyes met Jimin's once or twice across the table. He turned away every time as if the very sight of you burned him.

As the conversation dwindled, Lady Waymer turned to you.

"How do you find life in the Castle, Your Highness? I'm sure it is different from what you are used to, back in your kingdom."