❛ neverending, boy meets world ❜

They break up

      They break up.

      That's how their story starts. It shouldn't be a surprise and it isn't. She sees it coming, for months actually. In the little things like how she can no longer find the things in him to make her laugh even when she was upset at him as she usually does. He pulls away much quicker when he kisses her, and it feels cold when he is next to her. She sees it coming and it still hurts when it ends.

      They were never supposed to be forever. They weren't Cory and Topanga and they'd never been. Words like forever, soulmate; those words were never in their vocabulary but somewhere along the way, it became possible and she could see herself spending her life with him. And what she saw, she liked it. She wanted it.

      Angela is heartbroken.

      The words feel like an insult for so long. It doesn't quite do it justice. There is a large gaping black hole where her heart should be and sucks the joy out of her days and the colour from her world. It's almost sad to mention but heartbreak doesn't capture it. For a long time, she fixates on the breakup, relaying the few moments in her mind. It's not one event but a long string of moments that seem to inevitably lead to their ruination.

      His words replay in her mind. The expression on his face imprinted in her mind no matter how hard she tries to escape it. In her minds' eye, he is warm and doe-eyed, his hair a mess on his head, indicating that he just got out of bed. She doesn't need his hair to tell that though. He's been missing for two days and she's been worried out of her mind.

      Before he can say something sweet and smile that dopey smile that never fails to make her resolve disappear completely, she speaks. "I think we should break up."

      His eyes go wide, the sleepy expression disappearing immediately. Shawn squints at her and raises his brow. "I disagree."

      "No, I want to break up." She bites into her bottom lip. "I'm breaking up with you, Shawn." Her voice breaks and it sounds less sure that she'd intended for it to be.

      His pain is clear on his face, his expression taken aback for a moment and Angel decides that she can't stand to look at him. She moves to turn around, but Shawn grabs her arm before she can, tugging her towards him lightly. She moves, although she hates herself for it, as it seems that she can never help but to be pulled towards him. Shawn laces her fingers with his lightly and stares down at her behind soft eyes.

      "Hey, come on. You don't have to do that. We can talk about it." His other hand moves strands of hair out of her face and his fingers hold her lightly. "I love you."

      Angela is weak. It is for this reason that she sinks into his touch, allowing herself to be held by him one more time because this time, it really is goodbye. No matter how many times in the past she's told herself that. She'll never be held by him again. Not like this.