CHAPTER 1

september 12

Saying that this diner was dead was an understatement. The amount of customers that came in from 11 PM-5 AM was subordinate compared to the rest of the day. The crowd, if you could even call it that, would typically consist of random teenagers, the drunks, and then the usuals who had to get to work early. Despite the look of the place, the food was surprisingly good. 

The owners were a lovely elderly couple who inherited the business. They kept up best they could, but the interior was out dated. From the checkered floor to the maroon booths joined by the long counter top, it truly looked like something vintage. 

I was snapped out of my trance from the ringing of the bell from the kitchen. I walked over to see Bobby giving me a stare. I picked up the pancakes and bacon and brought them to John, one of my usuals.

"Thanks, dear." He said as I watched him drown the pancakes in syrup. "These are delicious as usual!"

"Where are you flying today?" 

"Boston." He paused taking a bite. "Routine flight, I'll probably be in this exact seat again on tuesday." He smiled. I nodded before walking behind the counter. I picked up my phone and turned on a random lofi playlist off of Spotify. One good thing about working here, free premium. Sighing, I started to brew some coffee. 4 hours left. 

"Hey Evanie get me a cup too!" Bobbie shouted to me from his small window. I nodded before the bell on the door rung. I turned around to see a group of around 4 boys walk in and sit at the corner booth (it was a huge booth shaped like a circle!).  I waited a minute to let them settle before heading over.

"Hello! How are we all doing today?" I asked as I handed them each a menu. I got some smiles and some muttered 'good's. Pulling out my notepad I looked back up. "Can I get you some drinks to start?" 

"I'll have some coffee."

"Me too."

"I'll also do the coffee."

"I'll have a sprite." 

"Diffrent. I like it." I said smiling up at the man who ordered sprite. He had a beard and a nose ring. Unconventionally attractive for sure, but none the less attractive. I walked over to the counter before pouring the coffee I had just brewed and grabbing a sprite from the fridge. I quickly hustled back over with the drinks and placed them down in front of each patron. 

"What's you name?" The one with black hair blurted out from the corner. 

"Evanie. What's-"

"Evanie!" He exclaimed starring at the one with the beard. "Ciarán, you hear that? Her name's Evanie!" The boys all seemed to be freaking out by the sound of my name.

"Is that your girlfriend's name?" I asked adjusting the waitress apron over my leggings. "I've never met anyone with the same name before." 

"No," he seemed to blush. "We're in a band and one of our songs we use the name Evanie." 

"That's sick! I bet you guys are really good. Anyway, what can I get you to eat?" Ciarán's face seemed to falter and lose his glow. I jotted down there orders before bringing the sheet back to Bobby. I looked to see John rushing out as usual to get to the airport. I walked over to his table and started to clean up when the boys called my name again.

"Ayo, Evanie!" I looked up to see the boy with the mullet calling me over. I stopped what I was doing and walked back over thinking they needed refills on something. 

"How can I help you guys?" 

"You're interesting and we want to talk to you. Why don't you sit down?" As much as I thought these guys were cool, I was working. 

"I'm sorry, but I'm working right now." 

"So, it's 3 am. I doubt anyone is going to come in." The mullet man said. I crossed my arms, "you'd be surprised."

"Joba, just leave her alone." The one with a nose ring said. Almost as if on cue a group of my regulars came in. "Thank you!" I smiled at him before walking up to the counter. Most of them were immigrants who took whatever job they could get. So they worked factory jobs and other strange hour jobs. 

"Good morning!" I smiled at them. They all smiled back as I put on more coffee to brew. They all usually got the same thing, so I had the nine orders down. I went down the line checking if they were getting the same thing. As usual: 7 muffins, 1 oatmeal, and 1 cereal. 

"Evanie," Julio called my name. Julio was my age (23) and by far had the best English. "Si la belleza fuera un pecado, tu no tendrías perdón de Dios." I however, would take any chance to practice my Spanish. 

I placed my had to my heart. "Me estás hacienda sonrojar."

"Haciendo." He corrected me. I muttered a quick thank you before he changed the subject. "Your Spanish has gotten so much better." I smiled. "So when am I going to get that date?" I sighed. 

"Julio you and I have this mutual understanding where you come and eat, ask me on a date, and I say no. We both know it's not going to happen anytime soon." He rolled his eyes. 

"Evanie!" I turned around and picked up the food that Bob had just placed in the window. I started walking over to the table of boys. I placed each meal infant of the respective person before pausing.

"Is everyone good for now?" I got a few nods before one of the boys pipped up.

"So do you enjoy working these hours, and when do you work? My friend wants to know." He pointed towards the one with the nose ring. His face turned crimson as he looked down at his plate of food. "He thinks you're pretty." Now I could feel my cheeks heating up. God! 

"Well I mean it's work. I work every day except Fridays and Saturdays. Anything else?" They shrugged as I walked away and back into the kitchen. I didn't know what to do so I just hid. I listen for new people coming in, but thank god no one did. The few off chances that I would go and check on my other customers I would sneak out and back in ninja fashion. Then the dreaded tab had to go to the table. 

I sucked in my breath and swallowed my pride as I went and dropped the check and cleared their food as quick as I could. I cleaned up the counter as I watched them sign the check and get up and leave. They had spent an astonishing hour and 15 minutes in this little gem. As they got up they shouted their thank you's and byes before I went over to pick up their check. 

I audibly gasped as I looked at the tip. A crisp $100 bill was sitting under the salt shaker. This had to be a mistake their total was $30. I picked up the bill and quickly rushed out the door. I saw the back of nose ring man and yelled for him. 

"Excuse me! Sir!" He quickly turned around with a confused look on his face. 

"Did I forget something?" He asked tapping his pockets. "No, it's just. Did you guys mean to leave an $100 tip?" He quickly nodded with a smile.

"Sorry that my friends were being such dicks to you." A small chuckle left his lips. "You are so nice for letting them do that." I smiled as I felt a rush of blood to my cheeks. 

"Well, thank you." 

"Hey, Ciarán hurry up!" One of the other boys yelled at him. 

"Well, good bye!" He said shoving his hands in his pockets and turning around. Ciarán, sounds Irish.