Save My Soul

[AUTHOR'S NOTE: The next chapter is going to be a Q&A, and then it's back to your Regularly Scheduled Zara! If you guys have questions, feel free to ask them at the end of the chapter; I'll answer them all to the best of my abilities, spoilers allowing!]

[Trigger Warnings for this chapter: Physical Assault, implied sexual assault, blood, gore, and probably some others that I am forgetting so do let me know if im missing a few]

It was raining when you darted into your home. Even with your umbrella, you'd still managed to get soaking wet. With a huff, you slid the lock and leaned against the door.

What a day.

You'd gone to two signing events, managed to forget to do your groceries, and it started pouring between the house and your car.

"Well... It's done for now." You'd run a hand through your hair, getting up from the door and making your way into your kitchen. Your cats, Meatball and Refrigerator, needed to be fed.

As you grabbed the cans of wet food from the cabinet, something caught your eye. Something... Something that wasn't a cat had moved in your living room.

Your heart jumped into your throat; your neighbor was home and had your spare key, but she was sweet as sugar and wouldn't enter the home except to feed the cats.

Had she forgotten to lock it?

No, you'd needed your keys to get the door open.

So... That didn't explain who it was.

You set the cans onto the countertop with a soft clink, grabbing a knife from the block of utensils before easing your way into the room. Your eyes scanned the room. TV, untouched. Coffee table, untouched. Hell, your laptop was on the sofa where you'd left it last night, and your Dive Gear was how you'd left it. All seemed normal. Meatball was lounging on the back of the couch, Refrigerator was curled up at the top of the cat tree... Nothing was amiss.

And yet something felt Wrong.

"... Meatball, did you move the curtain?" Meatball looked at you, offering no answers. Refrigerator was asleep, so it couldn't have been him. The curtains rustled in a gentle breeze, window open slightly to let some fresh air into your home while you were gone.

You toed towards the window, the dark of the room causing shivers to go up your spine.

You reached the window, knife in hand, and—

And nothing.

You shut the window, latching it shut before patting Meatball's head.

"You'd tell me if someone was here, right Meatball?"

You got a meow in response, Meatball pressing his head into the palm of your hand.

With a heavy sigh, you head back into the kitchen and put your knife back in the knife block. Maybe your work was catching up to you, after all... It's what you got for writing horror romance, after all.

"God, I'm going crazy..." You chuckled, going back to the canned cat food. "Maybe Alex was right; writing these books can't be good for me."

The soft squeak of a shoe on the kitchen floor was your only warning.

He forced you against the countertop, one arm going around your throat in a chokehold and the other going to grab your boob. You let out a strangled scream—it was shockingly loud, considering his arm was around your neck—and tried to fight back. Elbows into his ribs, hands trying to claw his eyes out, anything.