Chapter 20

It was a quite busy day at the shop as throughout the day we got a steady flow of customers, and did a good business. However, for some reason, my mind kept on drifting to Lina. It is like she's constantly at the back of my mind.

Numerous times throughout the day, I checked my phone to hear from her but there's no message or call from her. I know she has her own life and might be busy with something, but still, I am feeling a little disappointed.

Rubbing my hands over my face, I check the shop to make sure everyone has left as it is a closing time while I switch off the lights of the shop. Then after, locking the shop, I head home back.

Walking inside the house, I hang my keys on the key hanger but feel surprised when I don't find anyone in the living room as normally we all hang out in the living room at this time until dinner is ready.

Just when I am about to call mom, I see Caleb hurriedly going inside the kitchen with a panicked look.

"Hey, Twiggy," I ask while following him to the kitchen, "Where is everyone?"

I look at him in confusion, which turns into worry, as he takes our first aid box runs to the backyard without replying. Following him outside, my eyes widen to see mom holding Lina's hand which looks like it has burned as she pours water on her hand.

"What happened?" I quickly go to her side and take her hand from mom's as she quickly starts doing her first aid.

"She burned her hand as she slipped on the wet grass and her hand touched the fire pit." Caleb signs, while making a face when mom inspect Lina's hand.

Whereas instead of crying or anything, Lina just keeps on smiling, which makes me give her a weird look. Probably, the pain has affected her brain which is why she is behaving like this.

When I look at Caleb even he is looking at Lina like she is crazy. Then his eyes meet mine like silently asking me is she normal, but even I don't have an answer to this question, so I simply shrug.

As soon as mom finishes wrapping a loose gauze around her hand, after applying antiseptic cream as some of her blisters have popped, Lina throws her arms around mom nearly making her fall.

I don't know what she has said, but after hearing it mom's face has a slightly sad smile when I look at Caleb even his face holds a hint of sadness.

Mom hugs her tightly and kisses the side of her hair, her lips moving in whispers as she rubs her back, just like she holds me and Caleb when we are hurt. Watching this I don't need to figure what Lina has said, because I know she must have shared a memory of her mom.

Abruptly, Caleb jumps on them pulling both of them in a hug which causes him to get smacked by mom. While still holding both of them tightly, Caleb turns to me and motions me to join the group hug. Shaking my head at him, I walk to them and join them in their group hug.

Caleb and I share a look as an identical smirk lifts the corner of our lips, and the next moment, we crush both of them in between us, breaking the emotional drama.

I earned an elbow in my ribs from Lina, while Caleb again gets smacked by mom, as soon as we release them, as they both give us a death glare.

Ignoring mom's glare is something which mostly results in us having a face-to-face interaction with her slipper, but today we both take that risk so giving each other a high-five, Caleb and I walk back inside the kitchen leaving fuming mom and Lina alone.

******************************************************************

"When did Lina come here?" I ask Caleb while making a salad for dinner.