Ch 1 - Allie

Allie Watson

"So," Allie Watson's best friend, Nina Arugel starts as the two are talking on the phone. "Who did you get?"

Allie understands immedietly what Nina is referring to. Her pen pal. "Some guy named Carriber Stone. Different name, if you ask me. Who's yours?"

"Oh, some girl named Cherry Corcupia. She lives in another country."

"Mine is like a state or two away, I guess. I think we should start writing now."

"Yeah, I guess it's better. Hey lets post both our letters together, tomorrow!"

Allie chuckles. "Sure. Bye."

"Bye."

Allie disconnects the call and sighs. Her school, Radison High, has a Pen Pal program every year. And this year, even Allie and Nina are participating. They are assigned a student in this similar program and are supposed to exchange actual letters, not emails. At the end of the year, they had to submit their letters as proof. The letters weren't read, but simply glanced at.

She sits on the chair, in front of her desk and takes out her necessary materials. But when it is the actual time to write the only thing she accomplishes is chewing the whole end of her pencil.

"Damn," she says as she realises it.

Finally she gives up and decides to just be herself. And that comes out smoother than butter.

To Carriber Stone,
Hello, Carriber. Even though you know about me, I guess it'll be manners if I properly introduce myself. Hi, my name is Allie Watson and... I'm 18. I am a senior in Radison High. I, honestly, decided to take part in this project because different places fascinate me. I love learning about new places and its culture. Guess, that's why I want to be a traveller one day. Sorry, if my letter seems a little formal. I am not exactly social, but yes I do make friends nicely. I very much hope that - as we are supposed to bear each other for the whole year - we become good friends. And also I would love to learn about your place, as much as you would! Actually, I was a little bothered that I should write first. No offense or anything! Its just that... I kind of suck at starting conversation. I really don't know what to talk to you, and as I told you I am not very social, so I get things messed up! My favorite hobby is, obviously, travelling. But I also like dancing and reading. I am a little weird. I'll like any type of stuff if it is good or interesting! Tell me about yourself, Carriber.
Allie Watson. (P.S. cool name!)

Allie re-reads it. "Yeah... I guess." She finds it fine as it isn't too long to sound desperate or too short to be seen as rude. She carefully writes down the addresses and folds the paper into the envelope.

She will post it tomorrow with Nina.

~*~

Allie gets the reply letter from her pen pal, Carriber four days later. And she is very excited to open it.

Her fingers trembles a little, but she manages to get the letter out if the envelope neatly. She smoothes the paper and reads it while tucked in her soft bed.

Dear Allie Watson,
Hello. It was a very sweet letter you write. I found myself smiling at the end of it. And also thank you for the compliment on my name. Very grateful. And, to be honest, you seem a pretty cool girl with the travelling and all. I would love to become a builder, though. Well, as you might know but still, I come from this school called Veniene High School and I'm a senior, too! High five! The reason I tried this out is because I like making new friends. But I really hate the fake one's. I guess, everyone does. Even I really, really hope we turn out to be good friends. It still might seem a little wierd writing letters to each other when emails are ruling instead. But, guess what, I like this better. Brings out a bit more... adventure and excitement. Well coming back to me... my favorite passtime is, I guess, playing pool and reading. Yeah I like reading books too. What kind of music do you prefer? I'll literally prefer any type thats good! But I guess, pop and rock are more of my style. Hope to get a reply from you soon.
Carriber Stone. (P.S. in case you are wondering, I am single and ready to mingle!)

Allie laughs at the last line. She feels strangely comforted and relaxed by Carriber's letter as her fingers start searching for some pen and paper.