We Could Still Belong Together

“...and that's why you should vote for me, Jessica Moore, future doctor for the class of 2009!”

The admissions board pauses the tape, having just watched Jessica Moore's admissions essay.

Naturally, they're all stunned at what they just saw. What can they possibly say? They're speechless.

Finally, one of them speaks, “She does have a 4.0 at UCLA, and she scored a 523 on her MCATs.”

Another one, the head of the admissions board, reminds the others, “But a fashion major?”

Yet another one pipes up, “Well, don't forget, sir, I don't think we've ever had one before. And didn't you say we're really pushing the envelope for diversity?”

The one looking at her file tells them, “Her extracurricular activities are very impressive.”

But then, the head seems to have recognized her when he hadn't a moment ago, “She was in UCLA's promotional video.”

But someone actually thinks this is a good thing, “Clearly she's interested in the schools she attends.”

The head looks at her extracurricular activities again, “And she spearheaded the movement that led to getting all of the Greek houses…” he stops to check, to make sure he saw this right. “Gender neutral bathrooms. Apparently that was her sorority's social justice project.”

The other one that piped up before, in her defense, pipes up again, “That’s right. She's a friend to all of the people, rather than just her own sorority.”

That seems to have been the deciding factor, because before he knows what he's saying, the head of the admissions board is saying 5 words that would change the course of Harvard Medical for the next 4 years.

“Jessica Moore. Welcome to Harvard.”

Before she knows it, Jess has packed up her entire room in her sorority house and making the trip straight to Boston. She has her car flown out, and once she herself lands on Boston soil, stays at a hotel for a few nights until the moving van catches up with her, and has the van follow her to the campus.

Jess can feel the adrenaline pumping through her veins as she gets closer, unable to contain her excitement once she sees that big, beautiful campus.

“Oh my God. It's so exciting! I can't believe it! Harvard!” She says to herself, getting more excited by the minute as she pulls into the parking lot close to her dorm.

Finally, she parks her car, and begins directing the movers towards the dormitory, but she stops for a moment to look up at the campus, telling herself,

“This is gonna be my new house for the next 4 years.”

What she doesn't notice is that her arrival has caught the attention of many alumni, all of them making dumb blonde jokes.

Jess turns, instructing the movers, “This way, guys.” and turns back to lead them to her room.

After everything's been moved in, Jess gets changed and makes her way down to the quad, where like her, they're getting their required materials.

Jess walks over to the M-Z section, straight to the student volunteer, and tells him, “Hi. Moore comma Jessica.”

That prompts him to give her a weird look, but he just looks for her name, finds the envelope with her stuff, and hands it to her, listing them off, “Class schedule, map, and booklist.” and crosses her name off his clipboard.