Chapter 14 | Sometimes, All You Need Is a Stranger

Shivaay took deep breaths, trying calm himself down. Somehow, the park bustling with noise and energy was way more peaceful than the quiet his new abode could provide.

It had been a while since he had sat in a place as open and full of cheer as this. Dr. Tripathi's words rang in his ears. You know, you shouldn't really feel guilty about what you did. Tej Singh Oberoi had it coming.

Shivaay wasn't exactly sure what he expected out of therapy but this was definitely not it. Oh, the man may be kind but his deceased uncle seemed to have an effect on people. After all, even Shivaay had been forced to...

He heard a soft creak and turned to his left to find a young man sit next to him, talking on the phone. “Yes Maa, she's talking to her family. We'll meet them and... Yeah, I know. Come on, I trust her. I love her.”

He turned to Shivaay with an embarrassed smile, still listening to his mother on the other end. “Okay fine. Yes, before the week ends. Yes, I love you too. Bye.”

He cut the call and leaned against the wooden bench dramatically. “I cannot believe kya kya karna padta hai pyaar mein.”

Shivaay gave a small smile. Oh indeed, the things you do for the people you love.

“Oh, I am sorry, are you waiting for someone? Should I get up?”

Shivaay shook his head. “You can sit as long as you like.”

“Well, if you are kind enough to let me and begging me to, I might sit here long enough for you to pour your heart out to a stranger.”

Shivaay raised an eyebrow. “And what exactly am I supposed to say?”

“Come on, you look like all the world's problems are yours. I mean, you probably do not relate when I tell you I am supposed to meet my girlfriend's family this week. I have no idea when because she is nervous about asking them. How Bollywood-esque. Jaise Amrish Puri toh uske hi ghar mai ho.”

Shivaay gave him a blank look.

“DDLJ? Jaa Simran jaa, jee le apni zindagi?”

Shivaay nodded. “Yeah, being disconnected to the world does that to you.”

The guy raised an eyebrow. “Oof, are you Captain India? Stored under the ice for seventy years?”

Shivaay gave him a wary look. “I was in jail.”

“Oh.” The man turned a little. “Please don't be offended but I kinda am scared. That was a joke, right?”

Shivaay sighed and closed his eyes. When it was obvious he wasn't going to speak, the man cleared his throat.

“You look tired.”

Shivaay didn't move.

“All right, sucks to be me but I'll listen to you without judgement.”

“What if I am a terrible criminal?”

“Eh, without judgement for one hour? I mean, you've already served your sentence so... They thought it was okay to let you out in the world.”

“I don't want to sound conceited but I am kind of surprised you don't know my story.” Shivaay opened his eyes, straightening himself.

“Well, I have been living in Australia all my life. Ab pyaar kiya toh iss NRI ko apne desh aana pada.”

Shivaay nodded. “Well, I shot my uncle.”

The man stiffened. “Why?”

“I had no choice.” Shivaay laughed, humourlessly. “And now I'll pay all my life for trying to protect the people I love.”

There was silence for what seemed like forever. Shivaay debated if he should indulge this random stranger into his life, even if only through words. He thought of all his family. He would never be able to tell them, not without reducing them to guilt.

“My Mom shot my father and then herself when I was eight.” Shivaay began. “He had a mistress, she got frustrated and... At least that's what we were made to believe.” He trailed off, taking a deep breath. “I saw it happen. Mom and I had been playing chess, you know.” Shivaay had a small smile on his face. His life had been happy. Yes, there were these occasional times when his parents weren't careful and fought in front of him. But other than that... Shivaay would dare to call it all rosy. Especially compared to what it eventually became. “She told me, always to take care of my queen. That my younger sister was my queen. If only I had paid attention. She told me she probably won't be around and I—”

His voice broke.

---

Anika was walking around the therapist's office, wondering where Shivaay could have gone. Every passing minute made her more anxious than before. Things had changed in the last five years, did he even know his way back home? What was Shivaay thinking, going missing when he knew she had an important meeting?

Anika stopped and leaned againdt the wall, taking a deep breath in. She pressed her palm against her mouth, eyes stinging. Her heart was pounding against her chest, all sorts of thoughts swarming her head. She wondered if she should have taken Gauri up on her offer to help look fot Shivaay.

Could she call Khanna? Om? Rudra?

Her phone rang, it was Priyanka. Anika took a deep breath, clearing her throat. “Hey Priyanka.”

“Hi Bhabhi.” Priyanka's voice was weak. “Sorry for storming out in the morning. I—”

“It's alright. I appreciate you coming to my defense but I don't want you and Shivaay to fight over this stuff.”

“Yeah.” Priyanka seemed to pause, like she was trying to think of how to broach this topic. “I was wondering if we could— Wait, why are you not at the office?”

“Are you at my office?”

“No, I called and Meher said you skipped the meeting. Is everything okay?”

Anika bit her lip. “Wasn't there something else you were talking about? Why did you suddenly change the topic?”

“Wow, are we stuck in a loop where neither of us will tell the other what's wrong?”

“I guess.”

Priyanka sighed. “Fine, you deal with your problem, I'll find the courage to deal with mine.”

“Bhabhi.” Priyanka spoke before Anika had even pulled the phone away from her ear.

“You are okay, right?”

Anika froze. Was she? At this point, she really didn't know anymore. “Right.”

---

I am SO sorry, I know I said tomorrow like ages ago but... I will be very glad if you guys still have it in you to give this story a chance.

Cannot wait to see what you guys have to say.