Chapter 9: The Calm before the Storm

It's been a few days after you dropped the truth bomb. Everything went back to normal except for the fact that it's awfully calm in London. Too calm.

I'm bored... Should I just... hibernate? Or should I go and accept some assassination request? No... I don't do that anymore, at least until he allows me to...

Someone knocked the door to your room breaking your trance like state. A head with grayish blonde hair popped in.

"We're going to grab some lunch, wanna come and join us, y/n?" John asked.

"I don't eat before I finish setting up my lab." You replied.

Another voice that you find rather annoying chimed in, "eating is the most important task for human because it is what keeps your body and brain functioning."

You rolled your eyes, "sure, Sherlock, like you eat every day and on time."

"In fact, I do eat quite frequently, unless I'm on a case because digestion slows my brain down." Sherlock said frankly.

You raised your eyebrow, "did you know that your sentences contains contradiction?"

"Unlike you, I can stand a few hours or days without eating."

Your smiling face slowly distorted into an emotionless one, you stared right into Sherlock's eyes, turning the air chilly.

"Are you saying that I can't?"

John shuffled uncomfortably seeing the interaction happening.

After a while, John can no longer stand the silence and finally cleared his throat to gain both of your attention, "guys, please, let's just go for a lunch yeah?"

You finally break your staring contest with Sherlock and turned to look at John, "fine, whatever, let's just go for lunch."

You got up from the couch and grabbed your trench coat.

"Let's go Bilbo."

John let out a disgruntled sound, "for God's sake y/n, I am NOT Bilbo."

"Whatever you say... Bilbo." You smirked and went outside to pull a cab.

John just stared at your back with an incredulous look on his face before sighing and went out the front door.

Sherlock stood at the same place, stunned by his recent behaviour, "why do I even care whether you eat or not?"

He let out a sigh and soon followed suit.

***

You sat down across John with a frown on your face, "I asked for no garlic and onion, WHY, why do they always get this wrong? Now my mood is ruined!"

"Y/n..." John said while rubbing his temple, "we could call back the waiter and ask for a replacement-"

"No! They wouldn't change the food! They'd just take out those disgusting things out of my food and call it a day!" You whined.

"That's better than nothing, y/n." John replied.

"Well, they should've gotten it right the first time. This is their job."

"Then what do you want?"

"I don't want to eat anymore. I'll just go back to the flat and-"

"Enough!" Sherlock exclaimed in a low voice, enough to make both you and John startled.

You closed your eyes for a moment, letting out a big breath before saying, "bloody hell Sherlock! What was that for?!"

Sherlock looked at you and said, "I just want to eat in peace."

"That is exactly why I'm going back to the flat-"

Without waiting for you to finish your sentence, Sherlock quickly closed your mouth with his hand.

"Nope, you're staying and you will be eating today." He said in a stern tone.

You rolled your eyes and stared at the hand that is closing your mouth. It doesn't seem like he will take it off any time soon so you decided to lick his palm. He immediately widened his eyes and took off his hand from your mouth which causes you to smirk.

"Did you just... lick his hand, y/n?" John asked.

"Well yeah, he's been closing my mouth for at least a minute." You replied nonchalantly. "And you said I need to eat, in order to do so, I need my mouth to be accessible, no?"

John let out a sigh, "sure, whatever you say y/n. I am too old for this." He mumbled the last part.

Sherlock held the wrist of the hand that you just licked, looking at you with shock still evident in his eyes. Although he felt weird and kind of disgusted, it doesn't feel... that bad. When he come to his senses, he grabbed some tissue and wipe his palm.

"Nevermind that, let's continue to eat. Y/n, just order some-" John said before a blast cut his speech short.

The explosion was strong enough to blow the three of you off the chair and to the floor even when your sitting is all the way across the room. There is no time to react beside shielding the face from any debris from the blast. Even with that, you still got some scratches on your face from some wood chippings.

Just like you predicted, London has been too calm, too calm that it's suspicious.

Sherlock who regained his composure first started to look around the room, trying to analyse what just happened before realising that both you and John are nowhere to be seen. He felt a chill ran through his spine. Unlike his usual composed self, he screamed, "y/n! John! Are both of you all right?"

You are the first to respond, "no need to scream but yeah, I'm ok, just a little bit of scratches here and there. I think."

You lift the broken table off of your body, this little blast is nothing compared to what you experienced before so naturally, there is no need for someone to ask your wellbeing.

Not long after, a grunting noise is heard beneath a pile of table cloth and broken glasses. Both you and Sherlock looked at each other before approaching said pile and uncovering what's lying underneath. Lo and behold, it's John!

"How the hell did you get into this state? You know what, let's get you out of there first." You stated before you and Sherlock yanked him out of the pile.

John is now clinging on to Sherlock's shoulder, limping his way out of the restaurant.

You chuckled, "at last, the goddess of fate has decided that I won't be eating now."

Sherlock glared at you silently.

"Don't glare at me like that, Sherl, I already called an ambulance for your dear Watson and all of us. I got the bill, no need to thank me." You laughed maniacally.

This earned some handful of weird glances from passerby who's trying to catch a glimpse of the crime scene, and also a death glare from Sherlock.

"Don't call me Sherl, y/n." He hissed.

You gave Sherlock an empty smile, "I can call you whatever I want."

After standing around for a minute, your smiling face has now completely disappear and replaced by a serious one.

"Like I said, it's been too calm lately."

●●●

A/n: yo, ya boi laizyalpaca here, comin' back at ya with a new chapter. I didn't realise that chapter 9 is actually done for quite some time. So imma just... casually drop this here... because it's not like wattpad is graded like my english essays and thesis assignments. And yeah, this year i will be going to university, in just four months! I think... i'm scared though lmao, I'm taking pharmacy!!! That's fun, right? So if anyone of you major in pharmacy, leave some comments for tips and tricks for me will you? Thank you mwah.

It's 2022, and idk why I wrote the way I wrote back in 2018-2019. I bet this chapter is trash, but it is what it is, right? I'm still not good at writing tbh, I'm only good at lab report, damnit.