EXTRA

C U R S E D    B A L L
START

               SHE IS WALKING through the park, her little hand closed in her mother's one

SHE IS WALKING through the park, her little hand closed in her mother's one. She talks about her kindergarten friends, about how much they are stupid and make her angry: they're annoying and she can't stand them. But looking at the relaxed face of her mum all the negativity fades away.

               It's a good day: the weather is hot and the sun rays filter between the leaves of the trees. There's a kind breeze that makes the air cool and their foliages to rustle, creating a quiet and peaceful atmosphere.

               It's the kind of silence that Alex likes. She listens to the birds singing and tries to understand on which tree they're staying. Anyway, something bounces towards her and stops right near her feet, interrupting her little game.

               It's a ball, a bit strange. It's bigger and heavier than the plastic ones that she plays with. Also, there are no princesses or unicorns painted on it, it's just blue and yellow. The little girl finds it a bit boring.

               «Pick up the ball, come on.» Her mum says.

                As soon as she picks it up, an almost imperceptible shock runs through her fingers. She never felt something like that, especially with a ball; maybe it's a cursed one?

                «Ehi kid! Can you give me my ball?» A tall guy next to her asks. He's huge, his shadow covers all her little body; she watches him for a few seconds. «How do you play with it?» She asks while she gently puts it in his big hands.

               «I don't actually know how to explain it.» The boy smiles and rubs the back side of his neck. «If you want, I can show you.» She looks with her big brown eyes at her mum, who nods smiling.

               They sit on the grass, meanwhile the boy talks with his friend. The ball shines under the sun and the little girl can't stop looking at it. Maybe it's really cursed, maybe it's like Snowhite's apple.

               The boy lets the ball spin between his hands, he caresses it with his fingers and watches it really concentrated. Then he bends his knees and suddenly throws it high — but really really high — in the air. The time stops. She looks at that yellow and blue shape flying in the sky, as if it had its own wings.

               She laughs. The ball falls down and hits the arms of the boy, who somehow — she doesn't know how, she thinks he's a sort of wizard — manages to make it fall right in the friend's hands. They keep playing like that till the ball falls on the grass, then they restart.

               She doesn't understand why they always complain when the ball hits the ground. Why do they make all those disappointed faces? Balls are made to bounce, after all. «Why isn't it good if it falls?» She aks to her mum, while the boys keep playing.

               «If you make the ball fall, then you lost!» But she still doesn't understand.

«And how do you not make it fall?»
«You need to be good at it and always have ready reflexes.»

               She didn't know what reflexes were. Maybe her mum meant that you need to be fast and catch the ball in time.

«Mum, does this game have a name?»
«Yes, it's volleyball.»

               She likes volleyball. The ball may be like Snowhite's apple, but sooner or later there will be someone who will come and save her anyway, right? Like the Charming Prince.

Then, why worry?

wrote this some months ago and wanted to share it, hope you liked it <3!

and wanted to share it,
hope you liked it <3!

THE END
- a l e x | 🏐