Part I - Chapter 06

TREE OF LIFE BOOK III – PART I

CHAPTER 06

Five hours later, the women had stopped by the base of a tree to rest. It was nearly noon. Ella broke out some biscuits and they ate and drank from their water bottles.

Nicole took very little of her biscuits. You could see the worry in her eyes and in the fine tremor to her fingers as she brought the water bottle up to her lips.

Ella cleared her throat. "So, what's Wendy's real name?"

Nicole flicked up her brows. She smiled. "How did you know about that?" She took a sip from her bottle.

Ella smiled back. "I thought I heard you a few times."

Nicole nodded. "As it turns out, she has a great-great-something or other aunt on Julian's side and her name was Arwen." She shrugged. "Sure, it was pretty enough but I had thought it was just something from the movies. Truth is, it's actually a real name."

"So, how did you get Wendy from that?"

"It's all she could say when she was younger. In fact…"

Ella reached over and touched her arm. She bent closer. "Don't look now, but behind you…"

Nicole dropped her bottle. On purpose. Crouching down and off to the side, she managed to pivot around just enough so she could see along the line that Ella had pointed out to her just now.

Up above.

Near the top of the trees.

Right up against the sun.

It was difficult to say what it was, exactly.

It wasn't a shadow. It wasn't a shape.

It was more like a…wavering in the air.

And then it was gone.

Nicole spun around to Ella. "What was that? Do you think it's them?" She had already told her in detail about her encounter with the elf.

Ella shook her head. "That wouldn't make any sense. She has already shown herself. Why would she need to hide now? And this…" She waved her hand about. "…this is completely different."

Nicole glanced up into the trees again. "How long have you known it was there?"

Ella sighed. "About five miles back. I didn't tell you because I wasn't sure. Until just now, with the sun full on its back…"

Nicole got up. She began getting on her things. "Come on, then. Shall we?"

Ella nodded. She went to take the lead.

Nicole followed. "You can still see the trail?"

"Yes." She pointed. "This way."

~~~

Trees, trees and more trees. At first, the heat from the jungle felt like it was going to boil Nicole alive. But then the trail began to ascend in elevation and it got a little better. Another few hours after that, the air changed again and Nicole found she was no longer breathing in steam, as her heart pounded and her legs buoyed her onward and she left the world behind and far below her feet.

Scattered boulders began to dot their way. They picked a path around these, turned a corner and then stopped. Nicole peered upward.

It hit home in that moment that she'd arrived at the very foot of it. Smack dab in her face and shooting upward so sharp like it was right on top of her, the great Yerupaja Mountain loomed. They had come up to a stone wall with a face that reached straight up for a good two hundred yards.