THREE

"You didn't even try today."

Harry's face snaps up, a mischievous grin on his face. "You don't think so?"

"I mean, the kitchens? It's a fairly obvious place."

"I'll admit, it wasn't my first choice. I lost track of time down here before I could go and properly hide."

Persephone steps into the large room. It was just basically filled with counter space, different types of food covering every surface. Spirits raced around the two of them, as if they weren't even there. She eyes them but says nothing.

"And where would you have hidden?"

"Well I can't give up my spot for tomorrow, now can I?"

For the last two weeks, Persephone and Harry have been playing a hide and seek type game. Every morning, if Persephone wanted to spend the day with Harry, she would have to go and find him. Every day she won, and every day they spent together was better than the last, at least in Persephone's opinion.

Persephone pouts, but says nothing. "What're you doing in here then?"

Harry pauses before lifting a basket off of one of the counters. "Thought we could go out to the river today and have a picnic. Talk about a few things?"

Persephone didn't entirely like the way his voice turned down a few octaves as he said the last bit, but Harry didn't look worried so she dismissed the feeling. She nods.

"That sounds fine to me."

Harry smiles, a closed mouth one at first but then he's smiling so hard that his teeth have to come through. He offers her his arm, just as he always does. "This way then."

They have only just exited the castle to the back gardens when somewhere in the distance Cerberus lets out a loud growl and then a bark. Persephone falters in her steps, dread pooling at the bottom of her stomach. Still, after the small amount of time she's spent here, she's never gotten used to the dog and the sounds he'd make. She hopes Harry hadn't noticed, but of course he had.

"Are you alright?" He asks, daring a glance down towards her with an eyebrow raised.

Persephone only nods. She stares ahead.

"You haven't had a chance to meet Cerberus yet, have you?"

"No offense to him, but he was not on the top of my list to check out and see if the rumors are true."

"And what are those rumors?"

They're walking slower now, past some tall trees with black leaves, but not like if it were dying. These leaves sparkled and glimmered like they were made of jewels.