Washburr - Power Difference

Aaron yawned as he stretched his arms. His wrists were killing him and his eyes felt like they were going to roll out of his head. He regretted offering to stay so late, but he knew he wouldn't be able to finish these papers at home. It'd been a long day. First, there was a problem with all the printers, so he had to sort that out. Then Hamilton and Jefferson had a violent food fight in the break room, so Aaron had to find a way to fit new cups in the budget. And, of course, Aaron had to reorganize the dumb files by date. To put the cherry on the top, Aaron now had to find a day for the board meeting between Washington Arch and Kingtech.

What should've been a semi-regular customer exchange had turned into a complicated mess. Every time they had a meeting to show plans for Mr. Fredric's new building, he had new complaints. He felt sorry for everyone who was working on the project, especially himself. It'd been a nightmare the past few days, everyone was working late or pushing themselves too far. Everyone was stressed and just wanted this arrangement with this pretentious asshole over with.

Sighing, Aaron went back to work; persistent on finishing the edits to Washington's notes for the meeting. Aaron only hoped that his work wasn't for nothing and Washington would actually use them during a meeting. But that was merely hopeful wishing. He plugged in his earbuds, turned up the volume on his computer and pressed play on the YouTube playlist he kept open in one tab. Yes, of course, he shouldn't be listening to music while working. It was against work policies, but Washington couldn't give less of a shit, and it's not like they haven't done worse things in the workplace. Aaron grinned to himself and shook his head, not needing that kind of headspace when he should really be working.

Zoning into his work, Aaron allowed the music to become white noise as he read and reread Washington's notes and his reports. It wasn't fun or easy work, but he loved it. He was paid well, had a kind boss, and it was a ton better than becoming a preacher. Time passed slowly as Aaron was too caught up whether or not to leave a note on the Google Doc. Smirking, Aaron decided to hell with it and wrote a crude note about Washington's grammar.

Aaron felt his heart leap in his throat as his earbuds were ripped out of his ears, a shrill squeal escaping from his mouth.

"I should go back to the ninth grade, huh?" His boss, George Washington, said. Aaron felt a chill roll down his spine as Washington's hands grasped his shoulders. "Is that any way to speak to your boss?"

Aaron could hear the teasing tone in George's voice. He grinned as he felt his anxiety melt away. Aaron leaned back in his chair, looking up at George. "If the shoe fits, sir."

"Is that so?" George asked, his tone of voice getting deep. "You're pushing some dangerous boundaries, Mr. Burr. I can fire you, you know, I'm sure any reasonable employer would. After acting like a brat."

Aaron felt butterflies swarm inside his stomach as George spoke to him. Any other secretary wouldn't be so brash and bold with their employer. They'd have a more logical and more reasonable relationship with their boss. But Aaron, of course, had to mangle that up. It was a similar story to others. On the night of the office Christmas party, Aaron and Washington had both drank far too much and the floor of Washington's office was empty. One thing lead to another and in the morning they awoke with matching headaches and a mess between their legs. There was a mix of emotions, but it was mostly horror and embarrassment.

For the next few weeks, they danced around each other and Aaron was considering quitting. To his shock, when he brought up the idea to George, his boss's response was to pull Aaron into his office. George locked the door and pulled down the blinds. Aaron had been so confused and scared, wondering what he had done wrong. He prepared himself to be scolded or threatened, but he was shocked when George kissed him. It felt good and right and they decided to hell with formalities. At that moment, Aaron felt how he did right now. Excited, breathless, with his stomach full of butterflies.