Prose

A Hero's Story

Okay. It's recording. So Mr. Doe, what's your story?

"I enlisted because I committed a crime. I won't say what, because it may be disturbing. Anyway, I was given an ultimatum: Enlist or go to prison. I chose the lesser of the two evils, and I signed up for the Marines. I made it through boot camp at Parris Island, South Carolina, near the top of my class. I graduated as a Private First Class.

"My job in the Corps was the Infantry. It was there that I met my wife, Elizabeth. Anyway, during my first combat operation, I felt like I was in hell. There was a lot of fire. The fire was everywhere! I couldn't see anything. I tried to run away from the danger, but then I felt something bite me in the arm. I couldn't hold my M4 Carbine rifle right. I tried shooting, but couldn't pull the trigger. The pain in my arm was excruciating. I had to be hauled into the Med-Evac, or Medical-Evacuation helicopter and be treated in Germany.

"After my first, and only, combat mission, I had to be hospitalized for the rest of my enlistment sentence. Feeling that I hadn't done my capacity, I reenlisted for another four years. However, I didn't go back to the Infantry. I went with a Personnel and Administration job. That job was more my speed. However, I couldn't forget those horrible memories out of my head. The memories of fire, smoke, guns, and a bullet going through my arm. I was never the same. I couldn't sleep, because when I did sleep, I would have nightmares. I tried doing the best work I could, but I always jumped when someone said 'Hi' to me."

Wait, what kind of nightmares would you have?

"I would dream that I was back in Iraq during Operation Inherent Resolve. I would always jump out of the Osprey Helicopter and everything around me would explode. Then, I would be unarmed. I would run away to try and avoid the fighting. Then someone would tackle me and strangle me. The person didn't have a face. Then I'd wake up. It became really bad.

"It became so bad that I had fits of Sleep Paralysis. 'What is sleep paralysis,' you say? Well, it is when you're mind is awake, but your body isn't. When you're in sleep paralysis, you can hallucinate. When I hallucinate, it is mortifying. One time I saw a shadowy figure walk towards me. When I shut my eyes, I expected it to be over, but it wasn't. When I opened them the figure was on top of me and strangling me! I woke up from the hallucination and swung at my wall, denting it and breaking my hand.

"I went into therapy to help with my night terrors. I was also told to get a dog. So, I did what the Corpsman told, and adopted a cute German Shepherd named Apollo. He was as sweet as candy and loved William and Jessica! When I worked as an Administrator at Camp Pendleton, San Diego, California, we introduced our new son, Clarence, to the world.

"After about six months, I was honorably discharged from the Marines as a Sergeant. I had received the Purple Heart, Navy Commendation Medal with V Device, Combat Action Ribbon, Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation, Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Iraq Campaign Service Medal with a star device, Inherent Resolve Campaign Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, and Sea Service Deployment Ribbon.

"My wife, my children, and I are all happy together. My oldest wants to be a Marine like his old man. He, in fact, is going to Boot Camp this summer! My daughter wants to be a Nurse Practitioner. She is currently getting her Masters Degree early! My youngest wants to be in the Army. My wife is a substitute teacher now. Though, she is trying to finish getting her Bachelor's degree. I am a Machine worker at Waste Management, and I like this job. It provides a lot of excitement for me.

Well, that's my story. I hope you liked it."

I sure did. Thank you for your time.