Prologue

Seven weeks ago . . .

          The loud music being played in the background as we sway our hips in the middle of the dance floor. Both of my hands up in the air before slowly drowning in the crowd, completely ignoring the complaints I had made a few hours ago. All I'm focusing on is the adrenaline rush and the warmth of my own body. If only this place is slightly less crowded, it would've made me more comfortable.

          However, I miss this feeling. I miss the rush.

          ''You're so sexy, Bella!'' My friend shouts, grabbing onto my waist as we dance.

          ''Thanks to working out!''

          We both laugh before moving to our table, away from the crowd.

          I immediately grab onto my glass of alcohol before letting the liquid burn my throat. It has been awhile since we've spent time like this because ever since 'responsibilities' happened, we forgot what it was like to actually live. We forgot what it was like back when we were younger—things were wild especially in college.

          My best friend, Kate, hugs me from behind. ''I'm glad we're all here. Thank you for the best birthday celebration ever,''

          ''I know you're always the party animal,'' I chuckle.

          Kate laughs, taking a sip of her own drink. ''I'm just so happy. I missed us!''

          The four of us look at each other before smiling. Kate, Zara and Linn has always been together since we were in college—we were inseparable. From the late nights we've spent studying in law school, partying and talking, we're more like sisters than anything else. We went through hardships, shitty breakups and crazy moments, we were there for each other since day one.

          ''Even though we're all in our thirties now?'' Linn speaks, raising an eyebrow before smiling as she relaxes on one of the seats. ''This is the life we wanted. We got everything,''

          ''Thirty-one. Sexy. Rich. We're independent women,'' Zara replies.

          ''Well, we worked hard to get where we are. We deserve all the good things in life,''

          I smile, ''Anyways, welcome to the club, Kate. You're one of us now.''

          As one of us means, the four of us are thirty. Regardless of being thirty, we all know it's just a number and we're all content with our lives. Most of our friends in college are either married or completely miserable with the choices they made as they adapt with adulthood but the four of us, we have been making the right choices. We're literally envied.

          What could possibly go wrong?

          ''Come on, ladies. Let's get drunk!'' Kate shouts, the four of us dancing and enjoying ourselves as the DJ plays our music.

          Tonight feels different. It feels like our commitment has been forgotten and we're left with zero responsibilities. The four of us know that as soon as this night ends, we're back to reality; back to our jobs, back to our lives but we want to make sure this night lasts as long as it can. We are willing or at least I, am willing to give it all a go.

          Besides, we're single. We're free.

          My vision begins to blur as everything moves in a slow motion. As if I've slowed down time only hearing the music fading before it getting louder and my heartbeat feels like it's going to thump out of my chest; I'm on a rollercoaster. At the age of thirty-one, no one would've expected me. We've gone places, we've received compliments saying we look young, nowhere near our age. We can get away by saying we're twenty-five.