Insecurities

How to Train Your Pokémon

A/N: Okay, here's another chapter of this story. And since I don't know what else to say right now, let's just roll it!

Chapter 3

Insecurities

At the Archive building, Dawn gathered the other Trainers. She decided to see if they can head out to sea again and try to find the base of the Pokémon. Throughout every raid, they always head back to the ocean, so it had to be a clue as to where they were located. However, not everyone was agreeing with her plan.

"Hear me out!" Dawn yelled over the arguing crowd. "If we can find the base and bring it down, we can capture all of those Pokémon." She pointed to where the base might be located: a fog bank far out they named Volcano Gate, since it was around the area where Cinnabar Island is. "One more search, before the first storm comes."

"Those chaws never come back." A Trainer pointed out.

Dawn then said something Ash had once said to uncertain Trainers when they were young. "We'll never know until we try. Now, who's with me?"

There were still some Trainers who weren't so sure. Dawn then decided to try a different tactic. It was one that she hated to use, but sometimes, it seemed like the only way. "All right. Those who stay will watch over my kids."

Immediately, everyone's hands shot up. They would rather get lost at sea than look after her children. They all mean well, but if something happened to one of them, mostly to Mari, she would not pleased.

"Thank you." Dawn said. "Dismissed."

One by one, the Trainers left the Archive. Dawn went over to the back of the room, where Gary was sitting. "Okay." He said, about to stand up. "I'll start packing."

Dawn shook her head. "No. I need you to stay and train the new recruits, including the twins."

Gary sat back down. "All right. Then, while I'm busy, Mari can cover the lab. Broken pistols, missing detonator parts, lots of time to herself. What can possibly go wrong?" He said the last part sarcastically.

Just then, Luke entered into the room. "Mom, I need to ask you something."

Dawn turned to her elder son. "Luke. Is something wrong?" She asked.

"No, nothing." He answered.

His mother sighed. "What am I going to do with your sister?"

Luke took a quick deep breath. "Put her in training with us." He suggested.

Dawn glared at him. "We've been through this." For a while, Luke and Evan have been asking her to put Mari in training with them and the other recruits. But she refused to hear it.

"The kid has a point, Dawn." Gary said. "And I agree with him. You know she can handle herself."

"I know." She groaned. "But, she would get hurt before you release the first Pokémon out."

"You don't know that." Gary countered. Overprotective mother instincts were kicking in again.

"Yes, I do." Dawn shot back.

Luke decided to step in. "No, you don't, Mom. Just because she is the spitting image of Dad doesn't mean that she is Dad."

Dawn thought about that for a few seconds, seeing that her elder son has a point. But then, she started to rant about her only daughter's rebellious attitude. 

"Listen, Luke. You know what she's like. From the time that she could stand on two legs, she's been... different. She never listens. She has the attention span of a Spearow. I take her out shopping, and she literally runs off to the hills to find Fire types!"

"At least she didn't get burned alive!" Luke retorted back, cutting off his mother's rant. "Unlike what almost happened last time."

"Yes." Gary agreed, and turned to Luke. "And you came with a water bucket in time."

Dawn sighed. "Luke, when I met your father-"

"Here we go again." He muttered under his breath. Dawn hardly ever tells him and his siblings anything really good about Ash. All she could think about him was that he had done so many things that changed everything, and that he paid for those with the risk of his life. Big impossible feats, and daring deeds. But all they really want to know is what he was like. His personality, not his reputation.

Dawn just continued talking, ignoring her elder son. "-He always went to rely on his instincts. I thought some of his ideas were downright crazy, and questioned it a lot when we were young."

"You probably drove him crazy, then." Gary guessed nonchalantly.

She again ignored her old friend. "But he still went out and did it anyway, with or without my consent. He showed me the outcomes of trusting instincts, both positive and negative. And you both know the worst outcome that happened." The two guys were silent. Dawn sat back down, placing her face in her hands. "I just don't want anything like that to happen to Mari."

"You can't stop her, Dawn." Gary said, getting her to look up at him. "All you can do is prepare her for situations like that. I know it may seem hopeless right now, but the truth is that you're not always going to be there to protect your kids." He added, placing a hand on Luke's shoulder. "She's going to get out there again. She's probably out there now."

Luke suddenly had a look of panic on his face. "I'll go see." Then he started running out of the room before either one of the adults could speak. He ran as fast as he could until he reached his house and burst into the kitchen. Evan was sitting at the table, eating some scrambled eggs. But there was no sign of Mari.

"Evan, where's Mari?" Luke asked.

His younger twin brother looked panicked, swallowed his bite of egg, and spat out his words. "She grabbed some food and her notebook and headed towards Murkrow's Point to find that Electric type she brought down." He said in one breath.

Luke slapped his forehead with an open palm. "Oh, no." He groaned. There was no use going after her now. "I just hope she doesn't get herself killed." He grumbled.

A/N: I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, even though it was short, but at least it's longer than the previous one.

The picture above is how I see the Archive building in Pallet Town. If this is actually an archive building located somewhere in the world, then don't sue me. I just used the picture for inspiration. 

I'll see y'all in Chapter 4! Please leave a comment about what you think. They are highly appreciated.

Got to fly!