TIME TRAVEL

Just like every New Year, on this first Friday in 2010 I sat in my study writing my letter to the national newspaper so a time traveler would contact me. I was ready to offer all my savings as I figured inflation would have sucked up all the value of my money by the time I got back from my time travel.

"Standing on the protocol that has been set from ten years till now.

My net worth is ten billion naira and I have decided to share half of this worth with you if you help me time travel; I have a lot to take off my mind and time they say would heal me, I would like to heal faster so I need to travel far with time. I know time waits for no one so I would like to travel with it and on the brightest side I love adventure.

I stay at 6, Saka and Ajao avenue, fold estate in Abeokuta, my telephone number is 01092837465.

I dont know how things work in your world, maybe you would want to send an email instead – my email is bewajifunsho@gmail.com.

I hope I would be able travel to and fro in a short time so I would heal and have happy memories at the same time".

My first letter was much more organized ten years ago, but I found out the best time travelers hated orderliness as they perceived as it was a waste of time and they probably always looked to the future and hated the present. So, the more letters I wrote the clumsier I got with them.

As I hoped I would get an answer this time around, I knew there was also a possibility of me writing a new one and a new letter means better cash offer to the time traveler.

The New Year in Abeokuta was amazing as always, but there was no sleep for me because I planned to dance to the loud music that blared from the speakers of the party riders across the street, I wanted enough memories of this century before my trip.

At least the letter I wrote the night before was clumsy enough, I needed to get ready for my time trip but I was clueless about what I would need, was it food, clothes, enough cash or what? Maybe I have the answer to my unanswered numerous letters – I was not asking for what is essential for a time travel. This realization ushered me into the idea of making my letter longer even though a part of me argued that a time traveler would probably not have the time to read long notes.

Notes and letters are for nights, I wanted to enjoy the harmattan to the fullest, it might be my last in the century. I stepped out of my house to satisfy this happy urge, I walked happily to the coffee shop in the estate to get my favorite café au lait. I drank hurriedly because time was not yet on my side, due to the rush I spilled the coffee on my white shirt; I did not care until I caught Fiju looking at me through the window.

Fiju was a beautiful nineteen year old girl who lost her parents two years ago in a car accident. Almost everyone around thought she would be depressed for a very long time, but she actually got over it quickly and would even console her aunt that stayed with them.

I moved my lips slightly and gesticulated for her to join me in the coffee shop. She walked in shyly and stood by my table.

"Good morning Fiju, sit down and have coffee with me",

She smiled and nodded in affirmative.

"Talk to me Fiju, how was the New Year yesterday?"

Her countenance changed after my question, I knew it was only a bad new year that would make her look that way. You could have stopped at my place, my sister went to Lagos and I was bored at home alone, I was not bored –I only wanted her to feel that she was not the only one that had a bad new year.

"Can I follow you home after we leave here ma? My friends travelled for the new year", she spoke to me for the first time that morning.

"Sure, you should. I want someone that would help me make this season memorable and you should just call me Funsho".