ꕥ Chapter Twenty-Five ꕥ

Stiles and I were sitting on the bench watching the lacrosse game anxiously. Allison was in the stands trying to get her grandfathers keys so that we could break into his office and look for the bestiary. 

A player from the other team slammed into Jake on our team, sending him spiraling onto the ground. I cringe when I hear his arm crack against the ground. 

"Come on, is that thing even a teenager?" Coach yells, slamming down onto the bench next to me, "I wanna see a birth certificate. Who or what is that genetic experiment gone wrong?" 

"Eddie Abramovitz, Coach." I say, remembering meeting him at one of Jacksons parties. He had only stayed there for fifteen minutes before he got into a fight and they had to call the cops, "They call him The Abomination." 

"Oh," Coach gasps, "that's cute." 

I listen to Jackson who is standing near Scott, "McCall, what the hell are you waiting for? This is the semi-finals. Bring that 'roid-head into the ground." 

"Me?" Scott asked back as he nervously scanned the crowd, "You're the one who said that I was a cheater." 

"And that freak of nature being on the field is fair? Do something!" 

"I can't, not while Allison's grandfather is here." 

I turn around and see Allison talking to her grandfather. She was shaking and rubbing her arms with her hands. She meets my gaze and gives me a strained smile. I glance back at Scott and then back to her, nodding once. 

Eddie charges forward and another one of our players falls to the ground and turns into a groaning mess. 

"Shit." I whisper. Part of me was hoping that we either had to leave or not enough people got hurt for Stiles to go in. I knew how much he wanted to play but I knew he would end up broken. 

My phone buzzes in my pocket and I open it to see a text from Allison saying she got the keys. I feel relief flood through my body as I hit Stiles's shoulder. The plan was for me to go up to Allison and say 'Hi' and tell her I was leaving. Then in the parking lot Stiles would meet up with me and we would go find the book. 

I stand up and walk leisurely towards the parking lot, trying to make it seem like I wasn't walking with a purpose. "Hey Allison!" I call when I'm standing below her. 

"Are you leaving so soon?" She asks as her hand slowly falls off her lap. 

"Yeah Lydia didn't come tonight so I think I'm going to go make sure she's okay!" Originally it was just an observation, but when Lydia never showed up I began to think I needed to find her. Without breaking eye contact form her I reach up and grab the keys, careful to try and make sure they don't make any noise. 

"That sucks." Allison feigns, "Text me when you find her!" 

I nod and walk away from them, trying not to move too fast. I could feel Gerard's eyes on me and it sent chills down my back. I heard someone on the field yelling about how they couldn't feel their legs and I cringed. Eddie sure was doing a number on our  team. 

I was walking towards the jeep where we were supposed to meet when I saw Lydia's car in the parking lot. It was still running so I walked over and saw my twin crying in the drivers seat. 

"Hey, Lydia, what's wrong?" I whisper, walking up to the door, "Lydia, come on-" I groan when she makes a move to roll the window up. Instead of letting her I stuck my arm in the window so she couldn't keep it moving upwards. 

"Just go away." Lydia's voice cracks and I feel sorrow fill me. I hated not telling her what has happening. 

"What's wrong?" I ask, bending down to look at her.