Finding the Courage

Keith's POV

Today was the day. I was going to tell Y/n how I felt.

"Alright, I've got this. There's nothing to be afraid of. It's just Y/n." I encourage myself, pacing my room. Red, who had just recently figured out how to form her Peltson, huffs amusingly in my direction before resting her head on her paws.

"Shut up, Red. You've never done this before." I say. Red simply rolls her eyes at me.

You're trying too hard. Just tell her how you feel. Red replies, cleaning her paw.

"Easier said than done." I mutter. Red sighs in exasperation.

Keith, you're a smart kid. You'll know what to say. You've got this. Red purrs. I smile.

"Alright. I'm ready."

Y/n's POV

On your left. Orange easily jumps over me and lands heavily on the robot, killing it.

"Thanks." I smile. Orange and I had been training with Blue and Lance, who were currently fighting another Gladiator. I grimace as Lance is thrown again. "Should we help them?"

Nah. They've got it. Orange replies. Blue tackles the Gladiator to the ground and Lance hits it with a kill-shot. The robot goes dead.

"Nice kill." I congratulate as Orange and I walk over.

"Thanks." Lance smiles as Blue purrs in thanks. Orange licks the other Lioness on the head, purring. Red suddenly appears out of nowhere, playfully tackling both Orange and Blue.

"Red." I laugh. I see Keith walk in.

"Hey, Keith." Lance greets.

"Hi, Lance, Y/n." I could tell something was off with Keith. He was really fidgety, which isn't like him. His face was a bright shade of red and he refused to make eye contact with me. "Um, Y/n, could I...could I talk to you for a moment? Alone?" Keith stutters.

"Sure. Lance, get out." I say.

"But..." The Blue Paladin starts, but Orange, Blue, and Red nudge him gently, yet forcefully, in the direction of the door. "Fine." Lance allows himself to be herded out.

"What's wrong?" I instantly ask, turning back to Keith. The boy rubs his neck nervously, still not looking at me in the eye.

"I just...I..." Keith stumbles over his words. He stops to take a deep breath, then he looks into my eyes. I find myself lost in his violet eyes, as I always found myself doing. The next thing I know, Keith had pressed his lips against my own. Surprise fills me initially, but is replaced by passion, making me deepen the kiss. Keith is the first one to pull back, and we both stand there, gasping for breath.

"I...I couldn't think of any other way to tell you." Keith says. I laugh.

"It was perfect." I smile. Keith brightens up.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" He asks. I nod.

"Yes, Keith. I would love that."