Chapter IV - The Mario Kart Tourney

The day was beautiful as ever. The race would be taking place in Neo Bowser City, but it was a nice and sunny day here today. Something that a lot of people thought was impossible. Many of the guests were surprised that Bowser would allow them to race in his city, but he had no problems with it. Probably because he usually participated in the world tour races.

The racers were polishing their karts and bikes, taking care of scratches or dents, or fueling up. The only people who were just idly sitting or standing around were the audience that was there for the entertainment. No one was bored though, everyone was excited to see the racers partake. From Goombas to Chain Chomps to Toads, people from all over the world came to watch!

Shortcake was fixing up her Kart with some of the pit-crew Toads. Her Kart was called the Macharon. It was a Kart that was decorated with macarons of different colors all around the perimeter of the car. The Kart itself was carved like a pink macaron, and had pink wheels that matched. There are two completely different rumors of the Kart's design: the first, and more popular, is that it was created based on Princess Peach's trip to France one summer, and the pleasant experience she had with the pastries; the second rumor is that it was created in the Flowerbed Kingdom based around Princess Rose's love for baking. 

Shortcake would not deny or confirm either rumor. 

The other Racers were: 

Daisy on the Mach Bike
Pauline in the Yellow Taxi
Birdo on the Sports Bike
Koops in the Standard Kart
Ms Mouz on the Wario Bike (much to everyone's surprise)
Pianta on the Spear 
Piranha Plant in the B-dasher
Whomp in the Wild Wing
Bombette in the Bullet Bike
Bicorn on Foot
And Mario with the Flame Runner... but for some reason, he is metal.

Shortcake stared at the metallic being as he cleaned his bike without the need of assistance. It was a silver Flame Runner with gold flames. Her eyes shined like stars. This bike was the ideal bike for any racer, and she had to ask where he got it! She abandoned her pit crew members just for a brief moment, and skipped over to the metal Mario. 

"Heya Mario! I like your new bike," Shortcake complimented in her usual cheerful way. The figure didn't respond. He, or it, didn't even look at Shortcake when she had approached. She tilted her head after a few seconds of silence. 

"Um, Mario," she questioned. 

"Racers! Everyone must be at the starting line in THREE MINUTES," the announcer, which was Bowser, roared through the speakers. The racers immediately got to their places at the starting line. Engines revved up, and the crowd began cheering. 

Rose clapped the loudest as Riba cheered for her, "Go Shortcake," though he hadn't done more than stand by Rose's side politely. It wasn't until the cheering died down that Rose felt a little uneasy. Riba looked to her, noticing the negative expression, even if it was faint. 

"Princess Rose, is everything alright," he asked. She looked to him, and then looked around. She felt that she was being watched, but she nodded. He could tell she was lying, or at least not sharing the full truth in her nod. Riba did not pry; not for now, at least. They watched the race as the karts and bikes zoomed off. 

"And we're off to a RAGING START," Bowser roared, "and we've got some new items in store, too! BWA HA HA HA, I can't wait to see the items used!" 

"Me too, papa! Ba ha ha ha~," Bowser Jr. cheered. Bowser's eyes widened, and he shooed his son out of the commentary room. 

Currently in the lead was Pauline, with Birdo and Daisy neck and neck behind her. Shortcake was roughly around sixth, but she wasn't worried. She just got triple mushrooms from an item box, and used one. This allowed her to pass the whomp and Bombette, getting her into technically third, but she considered it fourth with the other two ladies neck and neck for second. Her eyes widened as she felt something wet fall onto her head. 

Suddenly, there was a loud KA-BOOM, and suddenly the city broke out into a raging storm. The winds were so strong that Birdo and Daisy started to swerve out of their high place, getting passed by Shortcake, Whomp, Bombette, and Ms. Mouz. 

"oui, sorry m'ladies, but I vill be getting virst place," Mouz giggled as she left the two in her dirt. 

"Why did it suddenly start raining," Birdo asked Daisy as others passed them. All of a sudden, the race hadn't mattered so much to them as it had to many of the other racers. 

"I'm not exactly sure! It was all sunshine and daisies just seconds ago," Daisy yelled as Bicorn passed them. 

The audience wasn't exactly happy about the rain either. Sure, Bowser had some automatic drapes that activated upon water hitting the switch, but the rain didn't start from a simple sprinkle, it was pouring instantly. Toads, Piantas, koopas, and all other species alike were pretty upset. Rose sighed and took this time to go get some snacks with Riba. 

The two walked over to the chili dog stand run by a man in a Sonic the Hedgehog costume. Rose felt a shadow loom over her, and she turned around, with Riba by her side. Rose's eyes narrowed at the strangely tall man, and Riba took out a pocket knife and held it out at the man. 

"Who dare bring harm to Princess Rose," Riba asked the man. He was tall, with purple overalls and a purple shirt. His ginger hair was mostly kept under his purple cap with a backwards and upside-down L. 

"WAH! WAHT THE FACK," the man screamed as he backed away about one step. He pulled out a news paper that depicted the destruction of the Flowerbed Kingdom. 

"I'M WALUIGI, AND I SEE YOUR KINGDOM IS RUINED! I GET FLOWERS THERE EVERY YEAR! I WANNA KNOW WHEN I CAN GET FLOWERS AGAIN!" 

"How selfish," Riba said, "I bet you don't even pay for those flowers." 

"WAH!? YOU HAVE NO PROOF THAT WALUIGI DOESN'T PAY! I ALWAYS PAY! BY RETURNING TO GET MORE! WAH-HA HA HA HA!" 

The two watched Waluigi laugh, and got their chili dogs. Riba put away the pocket knife, and they decided to leave the man to laugh. He quickly caught on though, and started swimming towards them. 

"WAIT! YOU NEVER ANSWER MY QUESTION," Waluigi shouted at them. Riba sighed and turned around. 

"Look, unless you would like to help us, you won't be getting flowers any time soon. We do not know what is wrong with the kingdom's climate," Riba explained. Waluigi seemed confused. Why would anyone expect him to help? 

"It would be a great help if you would venture with us," Riba continued. Waluigi looked at him, then at the Princess. She was smiling in agreement. Neither of them seemed to be judging Waluigi for the villain that he was. Waluigi was surprised that there were two very not-ugly people that weren't judging him by his looks. Running away or screaming in fear.