Comforting

Lapis sat on the roof of the barn solemnly. She sighed looking out upon the fields. The winds blew in Lapis's face as she let out a slight shiver, feeling the autumn winds move in.

   Suddenly, the ocean gem heard a concerned familiar voice.

  "Hey Lapis, you alright?" Peridot asked as she had joined her friend atop the barn roof.

  Lapis grumbled burying her chin in her knees. "I dunno... maybe..? Gah! I don't know what's doing it, but I'm suddenly feeling sad all of the sudden..."

   The small green gem placed her hand gently on Lapis's shoulder. Lapis looked over at Peridot.

  "You know, when I had my screen, when I wasn't working, I would curiously look up random questions." Peridot added trying to shift the topic slightly so that Lapis could shift her attention from this sadness. "One thing I looked up once was ways gems are naturally comforted through their bodies, and oh boy let me tell you, have I got the weirdest results!" Peridot said excitedly.

  "And those results were?" Lapis asked interested.

  "You know how our gems are super sensitive? Well apparently, if you massage the gem ever so delicately, the gem itself builds stronger and the physical manifestation becomes more functional." Peridot said slightly geeking out. "Of course, homeworld outlawed this along with fusion for obvious reasons."

  "Of course, it's homeworld. What do you expect?" Lapis said jokingly.

  "But despite the fact that this form of showing affection was considered unacceptable under the diamond authority, I still did research on it in curiosity and memorized the exact movements made by touch stumps to preform this act. If you would like, I could demonstrate on your gem, but it's entirely up to you." Peridot continued. "If you don't want me to, I understand." Peridot added.

  "I guess I'll try," Lapis said.

  Peridot's face lit up as she sat behind the ocean gem.