Swimming

Lance's POV:

"Okay, let's try this again." I entered the elevator again, cautiously pushing the third floor button. I sighed in relief that nothing went wrong yet. Just before the doors closed, a pale hand slipped through the gap, keeping it from closing.

"Oh no." I muttered, going wide eyed. The doors opened, showing Keith in his red swim trunks with his towel on his head.

"Hey." he said, about to enter, but I straight up body blocked him.

"No! No no no, no! This is not happening again!" I said, and he raised an eyebrow. Then he dropped it in realization.

"Seriously? That is not going to happen again. Relax." He went to get in again, but I grabbed his shoulder, pushing him back.

"Yeah, well I'm not taking chances here." I said, standing my ground. When he smirked, I flinched a little. He slowly placed his right hand against the left side of my chest, pushing me back hard enough to move me. He stepped in before I could regain balance. I was about to tell him off, but he covered my mouth with his hand.

"Do you really want to take the chance of getting stuck in here alone? We barely got out together." he said calmly, and I looked away, thinking it over. I finally sighed in defeat. "Okay." he said, removing his hand. He backed up and turned back to the door just as it was opening. He left first, then I jogged to catch up.

"Don't man-handle me like that again." I said, trying to control my urge to blush at the thoughts that came to mind. He turned to me in shock.

"Coming from the one who tried to man-handle me out of the elevator." he shot back, and I rolled my eyes as we walked into the pool room. I walked over to a wall with a screen on it, and looked it over, trying to remember what Allura told me to push.

Then I felt Keith right behind me. I was about to look at him, but he reached his arm forward and hit three buttons in a row. Two metal circles spat out from the wall, sitting in front of us.

"Get on. They'll take us up and then we'll be flipped with the gravity change." he explained, and I reluctantly climbed onto mine. Metal boots formed around my feet, connected to the plate. As we started going up, I could feel the changes in the gravity. About half way, it flipped, almost knocking me off balance.

"Um, wee?" I said, keeping my arms out, just in case, as we landed.

"Haha, yeah. I almost fell off my first time." He smiled as he walked over to the edge of the pool. I walked over too, dropping my towel by his. I didn't want to wait any longer, so I just dove right in.

I stayed under for a minute, finally enjoying the relaxing, cool water. It's not the beach back home, but it definitely was close enough. When I heard a muffled splash, I decided to head back up. When I broke the surface, I looked around as I took deep breaths. I could see Keith a little farther out, swimming under water to the other side of the pool.

I turned away, trying to ignore him. I exhaled as I turned onto my back to float peacefully for awhile. While I floated, I tried to picture myself back home on the beach. I could hear my siblings screaming and laughing happily, my parents and their siblings talking with smiles on their faces, mi abuela sitting in her beach chair reading her books like always.

I sighed, opening my eyes before I could start crying. Good thing to, because Keith was swimming right next to me now, watching me. "What are you looking at?" I asked, closing my eyes again.

"Your smile." ... I was smiling? "It was the first genuine smile I've seen on you in awhile." I opened my eyes again, not looking at him still. I exhaled, sitting up straight in the water. I glanced at him, and I could see hidden concern in his eyes.

"Figures you would see things like that." I said, taking a step closer to him. "Tell me, what else have you noticed. Seeing as you're the first person to notice, I'd like to know what I'm letting show." I said, and his face contorted, showing more concern.

"Lance, you shouldn't-"

"Why not?" I asked, cutting him off. A moment passed, and his eyes suddenly went dark. He took a step closer, close enough I had to move back.

"You want to end up like me? Hiding your emotions until the only thing you feel is the pain and hatred you were hiding in the first place." I froze, keeping eye contact with him. His eyes, no wonder he never looks people in the eyes more than a few seconds. His eyes show off all his emotions. I swallowed, needing to turn away. This was too much.

"Why do you care if I'm in pain or not? We're just rivals, right?" I asked, trying to show a sly smirk as I backed up against the wall of the pool.

"No! We're not." he said firmly, and I looked back at him a little shocked.

"But-"

"Lance, you, this team, you guys are the only family I have. I don't want to see my family in pain." I was so lost in what he was saying and his eyes, I didn't even notice that he was closing in on me. Now he had both arms on either side of me to keep himself up, at the same time, trapping me. I blushed when I realized, and I turned away, trying to stay in control.

"Lance?" he said softly, and I shook my head. "Lance." he said more sternly, gently gripping my chin. He turned my face, forcing me to look at him. I was trying to hide it, but now he could see them. My tears. His words were starting to get to me. Damn it! A few fell and he gently wiped them away. I sighed.

"Keith, this is how I cope. What else would you have me do? Break down, like I want to everyday? Run away and leave Voltron so I could see my family? Leave the universe defenseless because of my own stupid selfish needs!?" I asked, the tears pouring. I gripped onto his arms to keep myself upright while I was breaking. Keith gently caressed my cheek, understanding in his eyes.

"Lance, I know you well enough that you would die of guilt if you left. That's why you haven't tried." he said, pushing his forehead to mine. I closed my eyes, relishing in all the touches and affection I was receiving. Then, I remembered who was giving it. I giggled, opening my eyes to look him over. Damn, he's definitely gained muscle since the last time I saw him shirtless.

"Keith Kogane showing affection towards someone. Now that's throwing my head for a loop." I said, giggling again near the end. He smiled for a moment, continuing to caress my cheek.

"I'm trying at least. Not exactly the most experienced in trying to console someone." he said, and I smirked, leaning back so he could see my eyebrow raised.

"That was you consoling me? I thought I was being interrogated." I said playfully, and he chuckled. "Oh, that was adorable."

"Like I said, I don't know what I'm doing." he replied, removing his hand from my face. I sighed, already missing the warmth. I smiled, wrapped my arms around his neck, and pulled myself closer to him, burying my face in his neck. I could feel his hair on my hands, and it was really soft.

"For someone like me, you did a pretty good job of getting me to talk." I whispered, closing my eyes to enjoy the warmth from him. I felt him raise his arms and wrap them around my midsection, pulling me fully against him.

"That's a start. Now to figure out what I can do to help you." he said, more to himself than to me. I laughed, running my left hand through his hair. I felt so safe a warm and... woah, happy. I felt happy in his arms. With him. "...shit."

"Let's... just start with this. We can go from here." I said, squeezing him a bit. He squeezed back.

"Okay, I can do that."