My Mum's Science Experiment is a Vampire - Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Secrets

“Hello, earth to Ocean!” Amie waved her hand in front of me.

I snapped out of my thoughts. “Sorry.”

We were in the college cafeteria. It was Tuesday afternoon and for the past two weeks I couldn't shake the images of what I saw. When my Mum came home that night we argued for hours. She wouldn't tell me anything.

"Are you still thinking about that animal your Mum is experimenting on?" Amie bit into a sandwich, looking at me as she pulled a slice of cucumber out of the side of the sandwich.

"Yeah, I guess," I sighed, rolling my pasta with my fork.

"Don't think of it then." She replied simply.

I looked at her and rolled my eyes, "Some things are hard to forget,"

She threw the cucumber slice off me, "Then try."

I threw the cucumber slice back at her with a small smile.

"Jesus, she finally smiles."

I stuck my tongue out at her as a few guys passed us, ignoring us.

"He is so hot," Amie sighed dreamily.

"Who?" I asked.

"Jesse Tucker!" She whispered in a hiss.

"Who?" I asked again, looking for this guy.

"Jesus, you don’t even know who Jesse is," Amie's jaw dropped. "He's the guy in our English lesson! A god at this school!"

"Never seen him before," I shrugged.

"Yeah, because you don't know what a guy is, never mind knowing how to flirt with them." She slouched in her chair. "I mean, seriously! I've never seen you look twice at a guy, never mind see you flirt with one."

"I do know what a guy is!" I protested.

"Then get flirting and dating!" Amie shot back.

"I'm focusing on my future first."

"Yeah and the future is lots of baby making practice,"

I sighed, "Sex is all you think about, Amie."

"So,"

I picked my bag up and draped it over my shoulder after finishing our dinner period. "Come on, we're going to be late for Work Experience,"

"And you go and put me on even more of a downer!" Amie shuffled her things together and got up, marching out the door.

"I do know what boys are." I muttered to her as we went into our lesson.

"You wish." Amie replied with a sulk.

We sat down at our usual computers and logged on. Kerry, our Work Experience lecturer came in a few minutes later. She was one of the cool lecturers that let you listen to your music as you did your work and had a good laugh with you.

"Everyone got their Work Experience permission slips?" Kerry addressed the class.

"Yes," We all replied, rooting through our bags for them.

I was going to be working with my Mum at the lab looking after some of the animals there. Mum already said my jobs would be to clean cages, feed the animals and exercise the ones that needed exercising. Other jobs would be to work with my Mum. In the three weeks I'll be there I'll probably see my Mum more than I had in my lifetime of knowing her. Including when she was pregnant with me.