2. Vervain and Horsetail

Chapter two: Vervain and Horsetail

It was morning when Lia found herself near the forbidden forest, collecting woods that she can use to make fire as they have been running out of them

"Are you okay in there, Gguk?" Lia shouted, slightly turning herself to eye the window of their house, where the tip of her brother's head peek.

The head move and soon emerged her brother's face. Weak yet still smiling. The young boy nod, smiling cheekily at his older sister. "I'm fine!" He said. Voice cracking.

Lia smiled back, gathering the small woods she've found on the forest's mouth. Ignoring the urge to peek on the darkness within it.

The forest is always dark. No light could pass through as each trees stood mighty, blocking whatever light would dare to pass.

A cold breeze whistles and Lia felt shivers through her body, as she imagines hearing windchime-voices within the passing air.

Afraid, she fastened her pace and left immediately, not minding some woods falling off of her grasp.

She set them on their kitchen, a stool near their stove, along with some crops that she managed to harvest this morning.

"Sister..." Her brother called out from his bed followed by some painful coughs. And Lia waste no time to get to him.

"What is it? Are you okay?" She asked, sitting down beside the boy and gently patting his back.
When the coughing ceased, the boy look up and smiled.

"We are running out of grain and bread." Says the boy. Lia sighed but did not let the exhaustion be shown in her face, as she let out another smile.

"Do not worry about it. I'll take care of it." She assured. Petting her brother's head. But her hand soon stopped when she felt something damp.
Her brother is sweating uncontrollably.

Soon after, the boy started coughing. Much worst than his usual coughs.

Lia's heart thumped loudly inside her chest, as panic starts to rise from within her.

"hu..it...hurts!" The young boy cried, gripping his chest.

Though her hands are shaking and eyes brimming with tears and fear. Lia guide the boy to lay down, before running to the kitchen where their water was.
"Drink this." She said, helping the boy.

When he is calm, but too weak to even sit, Lia run from their home to call for a healer. Or perhaps a professional doctor. Or just anyone who could help!

Good thing one of the men in the village was familiar with medicine and herbs.

The man was kind enough to go with her, to check on her brother.

"How long was he've been like this?" Asked the older man, as he brew some herbs he picked on his garden. "And where are your parents? You shouldn't be left alone with a sick brother."

Lia did not take her eyes away from her sleeping brother, as she answered, "My brother has always been weak since young. And our parents were out for a quest to find us some medicine for him."

"The boy is ill. He needs all the herbs you can get." The man's rasp voice said. "As soon as possible." Whispering more on to himself than to Lia.

Lia sighed and turn to watch the old man pour the liquid mixture into a mug. "Herbs are rare in this place." Lia said, sighing.

She's bothered. And scared.
Bothered that most of their supply are getting thinner as time passes, and scared for her brother's condition.

"Horsetail and vervain. The more, the better." The man had said, as he hands Lia the mug. "You would boil the herbs over the fire to make a tisane, then have him drink the mixture every other hour for twenty-one days. There I expect an improvement in his health."
"That in the mug is ginger, it would help ease his cough but it's not enough to keep your brother well." The man added.

Lia nod and stared at the mug as she say the things that bothers her more, "But..vervain does not grow in this region..and horsetail only grows during spring." Lia muttered. Losing all the hope she has for them.

Even if the herbs grew near them, it would still be hard to get one for her brother.
Those two herbs are expensive.
And they barely had any money left in their purse to even buy a single bread! How more to buy expensive medicines?

The man stared at Lia in pity. He felt bad for the unfortunate siblings, but he couldn't do anything for them as he's to provide on his own family. "I would check him as much as I could, this is the only help I could give."

Lia forced out a smile, "You've done enough Mister."
"I highly appreciate your kindness."

•••

"Sister," Lia heard Jeongguk called after she left his room to cook their meal.

"What is it, Gguk?" She asked from the kitchen. Just a few steps from the boy's doorless room.

"They are loud today,"

"Who?" Lia asked the boy, though she already have an idea on who his brother was referring to.

"The faeries." And she's right. Those cruel and mischievous creatures that live in hollow trunks of the forbidden forest. They float along with the sound of bell and laughters, harmless when heard but you shall not be fooled (as the elders of their village described).

Her brother claims he can hear them from the window of his room. Near his bed. And often ask Lia about them to past each dreadful day.

"They are so loud today, maybe they are having some party." Jeongguk added.

"Maybe." Lia could only play along, as she does not want to upset his sick brother.
She scooped the soup and brought it to her brother's doom. Giving the boy all that she can give. "But for now eat."
"It would give you some strength." As I hope so.