Chapter 7

At that moment, I felt something wrap around my shoulders. My breath hitched at the sudden contact. I cautiously looked up only to be met with baby blue eyes. Black hair strands danced in front of a familiar face: soft features gazing back at me.

"E-Ebony?" I asked stunned while hastily wiping my eyes with the back of my hand. She asked me why I was just sat here, crying and shaking, so I told her everything. From the moment her Guardian Angel came back for me, and being told my most favourite person in the entire universe was behind bars, to now. I noticed Ebony was holding a small black book in her hand, the leather binding reading '2029'. Had it really been that long, I'm sure I was only down there for a couple days, a week at the most, not almost ten years.

Ebony told me that when she got home her father looked a little older but when she looked in the mirror, she hadn't aged at all. She found the diary she was holding on the kitchen counter and decided to walk around trying to analyse what had happened, and she bumped into me while I was a shaking mess.

"How about you come and stay with me for a bit, at least until you can find somewhere to stay permanently."

I didn't really have a choice and she said her parents wouldn't mind.

We walked back through the thick trees and out the other side, the opposite direction to what was my house. When we got inside I was given a towel and went straight to the bathroom to freshen up, get the smell of the underworld off me. But when I looked in the mirror, I didn't recognize the person that was staring back. My eyes were black, blue and red, swollen from the crying and abuse. Burns scattered my arms and cheeks, cuts covering my entire body. But underneath all the pain, I hadn't aged, not one bit. I showered, oh the water felt amazing. I stayed there for ages hoping the water would wash away all of the hurt.

After a while it was getting late and Ebony and I were getting ready for bed. She showed me into her room, a bed was already set up for me in the corner: the walls were off white with a feature wall to the left side. The wallpaper had constellations and stars in a deep blue colour. A desk and mirror filled the space on the other side of the room. A smell of cinnamon flooded my airways as I shyly wandered inside. As soon as my head hit my pillow, I fell asleep. The blankets were soft as a feather and the pillow like a marshmallow.

...

I spent a few years there before I could afford a house of my own. I now had a job that paid well and a good life with my special lady, Ebony. I remember one winter night we sat in front of the blazing fire reading a book...a book about an angel. One of my favourite quotes from that book is: "They say that the shoulder blades are where your wings were when you were an angel," she said. "They say they're where your wings will grow again one day."

It makes me think that someday I could help people in need just like the Guardian Angel that helped us, and the ones that tried so hard to help their humans. And sometimes life isn't easy but when it gets you down so much that you just feel like giving up, just know that there is always a light, always that glow of your Guardian Angel and you can make it through.

After all, I'm living proof you can come back from death.