Chapter 5

The guards who followed our carriage on horseback cleared a more private corner of the beach when we arrived and kept most of the onlookers at bay. Lys, still in a foul mood, had ordered Alana to spread out a blanket across the sand for him to sit on while he rifled through the basket to reveal a packed assortment of fruit, wine, and bread. Leander chided him and released me.

I tuned out their bickering as I crossed the last few steps to the sea and avoided the sharp edges of shells that littered the sand. The water reversed in its retreat to rush over my toes, cool relief from the stuffiness of the carriage. I smiled, ignoring the feeling of Leander's eyes on my back, and bent to inspect the seashells the wave had deposited at my feet. I waded further into the water, headless of the skirt of my dress, since Leander had ruined it earlier. My fingertips skimmed the surface of the water until a giggle erupted.

But not from me.

I glanced up to a beautiful woman with long, flowing hair watching me intently. The first error I noticed was her too-wide eyes and how cold they were before the inconsistencies in her glamour amounted and the rest of it faltered. Her hair turned scraggly and snarled and her smile showed off rotten, sharp teeth. The flawless skin on her arms was replaced with dull scales.

"What do we have here? A runaway who has come to find an end to your suffering?" Her arms outstretched as if to embrace me. "There's no shame in it. Come here, I'll bring you to my home. It will be the last thing you see and it's beautiful." She gestured into the deeper water, the sunlight catching on crystal roofs and piles of bones underneath.

I leaned back, thumping against Leander's bare chest. He must have removed his tunic while I wasn't looking. His arms circled around my waist protectively, mostly as a show of ownership, and his lips brushed against my ear. "You would do well to remain by my side when we aren't at the palace. Remember this."

"This is your Favored?" The Morgen frowned, displeased. "I was getting hungry."

"Both of the girls are ours. You will have to make do with your distasteful scraps."

She flicked her hair over her shoulder and crossed her arms. "What brings you back, my prince? It seems you were keeping your distance."

"I'm showing her the finest of what the capital has to offer. Other than myself, of course."

The Morgen laughed lightly. "Of course."

"Speaking of the finest, where are your sisters?" Leander didn't change his casual tone but there was no mistaking the slight.

Her eyes narrowed to slits and she disappeared into the water with frightening speed, but not before making sure her movement would soak us thoroughly.

I sputtered and tried to rub the salty water out of my stinging eyes as Lys started laughing at us from his spot on the beach that had been a safe distance away.

He had already started helping himself to the wine. "You always did have a way with them!"

Curiosity and wonder thoroughly scared away from me by the Morgen, I stared at the food near the basket with longing. My stomach made a growl of agreement. I hadn't eaten that morning and I didn't think the twins had given us any food the night before. Only wine and oblivion.

As humiliating as it was, I looked at Leander for permission to go to his brother. He gave a slight nod. I had to force myself not to run and collapse at the basket. Lys watched with amusement as I tried to eat a pastry as delicately as possible. Alana stared blankly into the distance as she nursed the cup of wine Lys gave her. Lys also poured another glass and put it in my hand, which I passed off to Leander as soon as he sat down next to me.