3

tam was curled up on his bed, staring at the ceiling's immaculate paint job. he closed his eyes, digging his nails into his palms. silence.

an awkward cough. um. hi.

tam's head snapped towards the intruder, eyes damp daggers. what are you doing here? fury dripped off of his words. tam hated himself for being so vulnerable.

keefe backed away, face reddening. he gestured towards the door. i. knocked. you didn't hear me.

tam stood up from the bed, wiping his eyes on the back of his hand. he was wearing a plain black tunic that was a touch big on him. he had lost weight, in the neverseen & after it. get out, he spat, angry to cover up his shame. i don't know what the hell you think you're doing here, but whatever it is, i don't need it.

okay. sorry. sorry. keefe stumbled out of the room.

tam shoved the door closed & locked it. then, after he had heard keefe's footsteps retreating, he broke, sinking into his bed & sobbing. he hated himself. he hated himself. he hated himself. he hated himself.

keefe had left, but linh stayed outside of tam's door. she could hear him. if linh died & entered her own personal hell, this would be it. knowing her brother was hurting but being unable to help him.

eventually, linh left. tam couldn't stop thinking about how cruel he had been, how horribly keefe must have thought about him. he cried himself to sleep, feeling disgusting & worthless all the more for it.

in her room, linh could see tam's shadows crawl up her walls. she could see his shame.

she resolved to try again the next day.