Echo's Island (Lost On Atlantis)

Part 1: Crash

Day 1

My body is numb, there's a ringing sound in my ears and the air around me feels like it's on fire.

"Help me!"

"They aren't breathing!"

I can hear the echoes of peoples shouts all around me.

"Ah!" I exclaim in pain as I touch my hand to my temple and examine my head, I open my eyes to see my hands are covered in blood. I look up and slowly start to stand as I get my bearings and look around.

It's total and utter chaos. People are running around the remnants of the plane we crashed in. There are bodies and luggage everywhere, scattered amongst the flaming debris of the plane.

Someone grabs my arm.

"Come on! Get away from there, its gonna blow!"

The stranger grabbing my arm shouts at me as he drags me away from what looks like an engine.

Seconds later it explodes with an enormous roar, the stranger and I are thrown to the ground with a force I've never felt before.

I lie there, frozen, it's a few minutes before I can speak.

"Thanks" I mutter to the man lying beside me, hoping he wasn't hurt.

"No problem, I'm Alex." He turns his head towards me, showing me a crooked smile as he introduces himself, then he stands and offers me a hand up.

"I'm Echo." I say with a raspy, husky quality to my voice, as I accept the hand he offers and slowly stand up on my feet. I realise my throat is burning, I need to find fresh water desperately.

"Water, need water." I manage to whisper as I lean onto Alex's shoulder for support, my body too drained to hold itself upright.

"Come, let's see what we can find." Alex whispers in a soothing voice as he moves his left arm around my back to support me as we walk back over to the wreckage to see what can be scavenged.

The first few minutes after the crash weren't so bad, that's when I met Alex after all. Only thirty-four of us had survived, many were severely injured. Our pilot was alive but unconscious so he was useless, we had no way of knowing where the hell we were.

3 Hours later.

It's getting dark, those of us who survived are going through the luggage for supplies, gathering wood for a fire and looking for more food and water.

We're all shattered at this point, retrieving bodies from the sea and tending to the wounded has zapped all the energy we had left after the crash.

We have been trying to wake the pilot for a while, looks as though he hit his head pretty badly in the crash but we remain hopeful.

I hear the flapping of wings in the distance and look up, inland, towards the hills and forests. Flying just above the treeline is a large bird, I can't tell for sure from this distance but it looks to have bright orange feathers, giving it the appearance of a flying flame.

"Alex, look!" I gasp and point in the direction of the strange flying creature, getting Alex's attention.

"Wow! I've never seen anything like it!" Alex stares in awe at the creature,

"It kind of reminds me of a Phoenix, like in the myths."

I think about it for a second and realise that's exactly what it looks like.