Diplomacy

Chapter 31

Genesis watched the whole exchange between Sephiroth and Cloud with interest. When she had said that she admired and respected the young blonde, he could not stop the uncomfortable feeling in his chest. It was a mix of jealousy and resentment that he refused to ever admit out loud. Part of him already knew that Sephiroth respected and admired him as well, but she had still never said it to him directly. He knew he was being unreasonable, but he couldn't stop his scowl from forming. All those thoughts were pushed from his mind when Rufus turned to make his way to where Sephiroth was still sitting. Genesis didn't hesitate to follow.

Sephiroth's gaze jerked up from whatever she had been contemplating when Rufus sat down across from her. Her eyes narrowed slightly, but she didn't say anything. When Genesis joined them, it was easy to see that he didn't appreciate it any more than she did. Neither of them spoke though. They were both waiting to see what Rufus had to say. They didn't have to wait long. "I know you have both already declined my offer to rejoin Shinra, but I would like to discuss alternatives."

Sephiroth didn't let her thoughts show beyond raising a brow. "I felt I was clear that I would not be changing my mind."

Rufus lowered his head slightly in acknowledgment. "Indeed, but with the way things have turned out I felt it might be prudent to have your expertise working with Reeve and the WRO at the very least."

At that point, Sephiroth sat back. She glanced and saw Genesis looking thoughtful as well. It was a request she had not expected, and she didn't hesitate to point it out. "You gave me the impression that you were trying to rebuild Shinra. I know you are funding the WRO, but surely even you know that Reeve will no longer bow down to all of your requests if he feels they are unreasonable."

Rufus gave her a slight self-depreciating smirk before he answered. "That has been made clear to me on multiple occasions. That doesn't change the fact that if we are to host a mostly unknown race, it would be sensible to have people that are prepared to face the threats that might arise." Sephiroth looked like she was about to speak at that, but Rufus continued before she could. "I am not only thinking of the aliens. If they decide to agree, there is a high probability that not everyone would be appreciative of their presence. We may understand that not all of them are violent, but I would be surprised if no one protested."

Once again, Sephiroth sat back in contemplation. She didn't speak right away. Instead, she took the time to go over his points. Finally, she sat forward with a frown. "I understand your request and will admit you have a valid point. That doesn't change the fact that I have different plans. I believe there are better ways for me to help the planet."

It was Rufus' turn to sit back in contemplation. When he sat forward again, he raised one brow. "Are you telling me you plan to lay your sword down?"

Sephiroth could tell the man refused to believe that about her. He wasn't entirely wrong either. Her brows were drawn down, but her voice was even when she answered. "I doubt that will be possible during my lifetime. However, that does not mean I cannot choose when and why I will take it up."

Rufus obviously did not like her answer, but he didn't fight it. Instead, he turned his gaze to Genesis. "Do you feel the same?"

Genesis huffed a bitter laugh. "Do not expect me to agree when she would not. I have no plans to run away from conflict, but I will never be beholden to a Shinra."

Rufus didn't bother holding in his sigh. Sephiroth spoke up before he could say anything though. "Mr. President, even if I feel like there are better ways I can help, that does not mean I do not understand your request. It might be better for you to speak to Angeal. Although there are some that have come to accept both Genesis and I, the majority will never trust us enough to follow us. Angeal has already made connections with most of the WRO troops and would be a logical choice to teach advanced combat. I do not think the Soldier program should ever be reimplemented, but he would be the sensible choice to work with Reeve. I can speak to him on your behalf when we return."