Chapter I

Chapter I

Chapter One

[Isabella's POV]

London

May 1870

There was no light in the room other than that given off by the flames in the ornate marble fireplace. The fire was low, but managed to throw the couple on the divan into deep silhouette. Still, I was able to make out their features.

I knew who they were. I knew who they were very well indeed. I had, after all, recognized my fiancé's laugh through the closed door, which was why I'd opened it in the first place.

Unfortunately, it appeared I should have knocked first, since I'd obviously interrupted a moment of utmost intimacy. And though I knew that I should leave -- or, at the very least, make my presence known -- I found that I could not move. I was riveted where I stood, staring quite against my will at the Lady Victoria

Seldon's breasts, which had come out of the bodice of her gown, and were now bouncing vigorously up and down in rhythm to the thrusting hips of the man who lay between Lady Victoria's thighs.

It occurred to me, as I stood there with one gloved hand gripping the doorknob, and the other clutching the frame, that my own breasts had never bounced with such wild abandon.

Of course, my breasts weren't nearly as large as Lady Victoria's.Which might explain why it was the Lady her, and not me, who was astride the Marquis of Winchilsea.

I had not been aware of James predilection for large-breasted women, but apparently Lord Winchilsea had found me lacking in that particular category, and had therefore sought out someone better suited to his tastes. Which was certainly his right, of course. Only that I couldn't help thinking he might have had the courtesy not to do it in one of Dame Ashforth's sitting rooms, in the middle of a dinner party.

'I suppose I shall faint', I thought, and gripped the doorknob tighter, in case the floor should suddenly rush up to meet my face, as often happened to the heroines of the novels my maids sometimes left laying about, and which I sometimes picked up and read.

Only of course I didn't faint. I had after all never fainted in her life, not even the time I fell off my horse and broke my arm in two places. I rather wished that I would faint, because then I might at least have been spared the sight of the Lady Victoria inserting her finger into James's mouth.

'Now why', I wondered, 'did she do that?' Did men enjoy having women's fingers shoved into their mouths?

Evidently they did, because the marquis began at once to suck noisily upon it.

Why hadn't anyone ever mentioned this to me? If the marquis had wanted me to put her finger into his mouth, I most certainly would have done so, if it would have made him happy. Really, it was completely unnecessary for him to turn to Lady Victoria -- with whom he was barely acquainted, let alone engaged -- for something as simple as that.

Beneath Lady Victoria, the Marquis of Winchilsea let out a groan -- rather muffled, with Lady Victoria's finger in the way. I saw his hand move from Lady Victoria's hip to one of those sizable breasts. James had not removed either his coat or his shirt. Well, I supposed he'd be able to rejoin the dinner party more quickly that way. But surely with the fire -- not to mention the heat Lady Victoria's body was surely generating -- he must have been overly warm.

He didn't seem to mind, however. The hand which had gone to cup Lady Victoria's breast moved to the back of her long neck, where fine tendrils of fire red

hair had escaped from the complicated coronet of curls atop her head. Then James pulled her face down until her lips touched his. Lady Victoria had to remove her finger from his mouth in order to better accommodate her tongue, which she placed there instead.