one: Jean K Allison

Flora slams her wet rag onto the empty table and wipes off the crumbs and sauce. People can be so messy when they eat. Once she is done, she wipes her forehead and makes her way to the back to dump her cleaning supplies. Kyle called out last minute, and no one else was available to fill in for him, so she is pulling double duty tonight.

Flora has been working at this diner since she was 14. After high school, she would ride her bike over, and after her shift, she would ride her bike home. Years later, she drivers her car and works late. Penelope's Diner is open 24/7 (the only restaurant open all night in the small town), but Flora has to work an over night shift. She is still in school, and Steve, grandson to the late Penelope, values a good education. It is just after 8 o'clock now, and she will be getting off in a couple hours.

The bell above the door rings, informing the staff of a new costumer.

"Flora!" Dave, the cook, calls to her. "Someone is here!"

As if I couldn't hear. Flora thinks to herself and she flattens her apron.

"Sit anywhere you like!" She calls out as she rounds the corner.

"Yes, I am familiar," an older women's voice calls in return. It isn't with sass. There is jest in the voice.

Flora smiles. She knows this voice. It is from Mary, a lady in her late 50s who has been a regular to the diner since before Flora was born.

Flora approaches Mary's usual booth, decaffeinated coffee in tow (Mary always drinks decaf after 7 pm). She fills a mug and places it in front of the kind woman.

"How are you doing today?" Flora asks.

"Oh, I am a peach!" Mary gives her same reply. "How are you, sweetie?"

Flora's smile grows. "I'm doing well. A bit tired."

"Is that so?"

Flora nods. "We are short staffed tonight, and I have an exam in the morning." She then pulls her pad and pen from her apron pocket. "What can I get you to eat?"

Mary gets one of three things to eat. It varies by the time of day and her mood. "Apple pancakes, I think."

"Now, what are you excited about?" Flora jots down the order.

Mary's expression brightens and turns a bit dreamy. "My youngest son and favorite nephew are coming to visit. They will be in later tonight!"

Flora laughs. "Your 'favorite nephew'? Don't you only have one?"

Mary smirks. "Well, that doesn't change the fact that he is my favorite one."

"You got me there--"

"Hey, girly!" A voice cuts them off. "I need more coffee!"

Flora turns to see a man in a trucker hat waving his mug in the air. His face is screwed up in annoyance.

"I'm sorry, Mary."

"No, go on and help that grouch." She waves Flora away.

Flora rushes to the counter to switch the decaf with regular coffee and hand over Mary's order. Kelly is working back there tonight and helps Flora with the exchange. Flora isn't mad that Kelly didn't help the man in the booth. That is her job. And, Kelly has her hands full at the counter, where most people sit after the dinner rush. 

"I'm sorry about that, sir," Flora apologizes as she fills the man's cup. "We are short staffed tonight. Can I get you anything else?" She looks up to meet his eyes. They are less hard now, but she wouldn't describe him as pleased, just slightly less annoyed.