Chapter 21

I feel Thomas's hot breath on my face. "What do you want?" I ask harshly.

"What do I want?" He asks. "How about, what do you want?"

I play dumb. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Ha!" He laughs harshly. "Think you can out-smart me huh?"

"Thomas, this isn't you. This isn't the you I know."

"How do you know?"

"How do I know? Hmm... Let me think. Maybe, oh, I don't know, because we were best friends because we were sent up into this piece of klunk Glade." I say sarcastically.

"Don't call it a piece of klunk." He says defensively.

"Why not?"

"Because we created it."

"Excuse me?" I say, shocked at what Thomas just said. "We created this hell hole?"

"You heard me."

"Now you're talking crazy."

"Wicked is good."

"Listen, I don't know what type of drugs you're on, but you need to come back to reality. This is not the Thomas I know. The Thomas I know wouldn't tie me to a tree to have a chat with me; he would search me out and sit with me like a normal person. He wouldn't back talk me and certainly wouldn't question me. Thomas, the real one, I know you're in there, somewhere. Please come out."

"It's not going to work," Thomas says. "He's gone forever."

"No, he's not." I lean forward as far as I can and lightly kiss him. He doesn't kiss me back. I know this has to work to get him back to reality. I move my mouth against his, hoping he'll kiss back.

Suddenly he does. That's when I pull away. I lean my head against the trunk of the tree I'm tied to. Thomas just stares at me. Then he takes a step back, surveying the scene. "Why are you tied to a tree?"

I look at him. "Why don't you ask mentally insane Thomas."

"Huh?"

"Oh, gee, I don't know," I say sarcastically. "Maybe a crazy version of you kidnapped me and dragged me here and tied me to this tree to talk to me."

"I did?" He reaches forward and starts to untie my hands. "I'm so sorry. I didn't know what was happening. My brain was all fuzzy. It was like I here, but not here at the same time. I was in my body, but had no control over it. And then I felt you kissing me, and I was suddenly able to control my body again." He finishes untying my hands and starts to untie my feet.

"Listen, about the kiss..." I start awkwardly.

"Which one?" He asks.

"Both."

"What about them?"

"Well..." 'How can I explain this to him?' I think to myself. "Um... Well, the first one, I was sorta in shock of what happened between me and Newt and I just wasn't thinking clearly. And the second one, well, that was the only way I could think of to get you out of the trance."

Thomas finishes untying my feet. He walks around the tree and stands so he's facing me. "So what you're saying is...?"

"Tom," I look up at him. "I like you like that, I truly do. But, I think I'm gonna be with Newt for now," a look of hurt flashes across his face. "But Thomas, if Newt and I don't work out, I know I'll always have you. You have a special place in my heart. We have a special relationship. More than best friends. Kinda like siblings. But for now, I think we should just be friends."

Thomas just nods.

I look past Thomas at the sky. I see it's almost sunset. "Listen, I, uh, gotta go," I lightly touch his arm. "I'll see you later, okay?"

Thomas just nods.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

After I shower, I go find an empty bedroom in the Homestead. I walk into the room, shutting the door behind me. I walk over to the dresser and rifle through a drawer until I find a shirt that will fit me. I hold it up in front of me. It's pale blue. I slide it on. It's a little big, but it'll do. 'I wonder what it takes to get a girl some actually clothes in here?' I think to myself. I'm really tired of wearing huge shirts.

I walk over to the window. The sun's on the verge of setting. The sky is filling with vibrant shades of orange and yellow. It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I turn back around and grab my towel. I sit on the edge of the bed, towel drying my hair.

After a while of towel drying my hair, my arms get tired. I put the towel down and walk over to the tiny mirror on the wall. I run my fingers through my hair, getting all the knots out. I stare at my reflection.

My bright blue eyes stare back at me.

My light brown hair is waiver than it's ever been.

And my face. My face looks horrible. I have heavy bags under my eyes, making it look like I haven't slept in a week. The white around my eyes is bloodshot. I look like a zombie with unnaturally clean hair.

I turn away from the mirror and walk back over to the window. I lean against the windowsill, looking out at the Glade.

I've been here, what, a month maybe? Not even? And nothing real exciting has happened. I mean, sure, I guess it's true that Newt and I are together, but what does "together" even mean? Am I sure I even want us to be "together"? I don't know.

I see Newt walking across the Glade. His limp looks worse than ever. He still hasn't told me how he got it. Do I even care? I'm not sure.

I turn away from the window and head out of the Homestead. I wait by the door for Newt.

Except he never comes.