Part 7: The Monster's Wrath

Heart pounding, I scrambled to my feet. "Ash, run!" I cried, running to the door. "Run!"

Skurdulka stood on the porch as the enormous dog, growling and snapping. Open-mouthed, wide-eyed, Ash stood in front of them, frozen.

The creature advanced, growling, and Ash tried to back away. He stumbled, falling backwards.

"Leave him alone!" I shouted.

Skurdulka lunged. Screaming, Ash covered his face and rolled. Skurdulka's claws barely missed him, colliding with dirt and leaves. Ash scrambled away, rising to his hands and knees. Skurdulka lashed out again, striking Ash across the back and pushing him down.

"Leave—him—ALONE!" With a running start, I body-slammed the dog. Yelping, Skurdulka rolled through the leaves. I fell hard onto the dirt and recovered fast, trying to get to Ash before Skurdulka could get back up.

"Get up, get up!" I tried yanking Ash to his feet, but he stumbled on shaking legs. "You gotta run, come on!"

Behind me, Skurdulka snapped and snarled, angrier than ever. I spun around, holding my arms out in front of Ash. "No! Leave him alone!"

Skurdulka swiped a paw in the air and I flinched, but I held my ground in front of Ash. Inside my chest, more than a thought or a feeling, I knew I couldn't let Skurdulka hurt him. I just couldn't.

"Just let him go, okay?" My shouting voice dropped to a plea. "You can do whatever you want to me. Just, just let him go."

Skurdulka's snarl quieted to a dangerous growl. Their red eyes stayed fixed on Ash.

"It was just a mistake. H-he'll leave, he won't tell anybody about this." I bit my lip.

The giant black dog's ears slid back. They crouched, about to lunge.

"Please!" I dropped to my knees, looking up at the hound. I never would've begged for my own life. But it didn't take a second thought to beg for Ash's. "Just let him go." I swallowed hard, but my voice still cracked. "He's not like the others. He's really not. He's special. He sees me. Like your friend did. Please."

Skudulka's growl fell quiet. They stood there, breathing heavily. Their red eyes flicked to Ash, then back to me.

"I'm sorry your friend is gone. I really, really am." Tears spilled down my cheeks. "But please... don't hurt mine."

The giant dog straightened from their crouch. Their ears slid forward again. For several moments, they just stared at me, silent.

I blinked and Skurdulka stood again, upright and tall, clothed in black rags. With their black hair swept back, I saw their face clearly. In their eyes, on their thin, barely-knitted brow, I saw regret.

"Oh my God," Ash uttered. "It's, it's Skurdulka."

"Ash." I grabbed him by the shoulders. "You have to go. You never saw any of this, okay? Just go and—"

"Silence." Skurdulka's rasping voice cut across mine. They strode through the dead leaves towards us, their red eyes, fiery with anger again, fixed on Ash.

I stood in front of him. "Please, Skur—"

 "He cannot leave." Their eyes swung back to mine. They scowled. I wasn't sure if it would be better or worse to convince them that I didn't tell Ash about them, but that look said they probably wouldn't believe me anyway. Turning, Skurdulka headed for the house. "Come." 

Ash grabbed my arm.

I flinched, sucking in air through my teeth. 

Blood smeared on Ash's hand. Taking my elbow, he looked down at the gashes on my arm. "Oh my God. Did that thing do that to you?" He looked up at me. "Is that what happened to your face? Did he hit you?"