It's Custom

I stood by Piers' side as we said goodnight to the guests. I watched as they trickled out of the castle and towards their carriages, some leaning more heavily on one another than others. The king firmly shook his son's hand, not acknowledging me, as he walked out with his guards to his carriage. The queen embraced each of us, giving her son a peck on the cheek before she allowed her own guards to escort her to a separate carriage. As they pulled away, the doorman slowly closed the double doors, leaving us in the warmth of the castle.

"That was much more entertaining that I had believed it would be," I told Piers as we walked up the stairs to our rooms.

"Yes, it was," he said. We stopped at the top of the stairs. "Tomorrow you will begin your training and you will begin approving the plans for our wedding. Things are going to be moving much more quickly now that you have officially been introduced to the court."

"I'm eager to begin," I replied, looking up at him. "I believe I will enjoy being here much more if I am kept busy."

"As you shall be. In two weeks, we shall introduce you to the kingdom. You will undergo rigorous training before then. I know that the facility provided you with your training, but there are many things that must be learned before you may present yourself to the kingdom. The facility can only prepare you for so much. Only one person is ever chosen to be princess. It is the responsibility of the royal family to train that girl to fill the role."

"I'm aware. We were informed of all of that at the facility, Piers. It'll be okay. Trust me; I am more than capable of doing it."

"It is not you that I do not think is capable of doing it. I fear that some people will not view you as being an adequate ruler regardless of how good you may be," he said with a sigh.

I shrugged, taking his hands in mine. "No ruler has ever won over the entire kingdom. There shall always be those who find something to dislike."

He nodded, giving me a small smile. "I will be in the capital tomorrow when you begin your training. I shall be along in the morning, but I must leave shortly before lunch. We have selected a wonderful teacher for you. She was once my teacher, to be precise."

"I'm sure she's perfect, then," I said softly. He nodded and released one of my hands, gently pulling me down the hallway.

"You did well tonight, Adelaide," he said as we reached my room. "Many people were impressed with you. Do not allow for the few to make you feel less capable than you are."

"I won't," I promised him.

And I wouldn't. The facility had taught me that even when people believed I couldn't do it, I pushed on and I achieved the impossible. It felt as though that was what I had been doing my entire life, but I would rather have it be that way than to have had to accept defeat.

"Goodnight, Adelaide, and good luck," Piers said, kissing my forehead before he released my hand and took a step back.

"For the record, Piers," I said as I stepped into my room, "I would like you to have some say in the wedding. It is not just my day. It is both of ours. It is not fair if I am the one to do all of the planning, alongside your mother, of course."

He nodded, putting his hands into his dress pants pockets. "I would appreciate it, if I am not working, of course."

"Of course," I told him, smiling softly before I shut the door.

The kingdom would always come first. I walked out onto the balcony and closed my eyes, taking a deep breath as a sense of calm washed over me. I may not have been the king's favorite, I may not have been perfect, but I was going to be able to change things. I was going to be able to help people.