Chapter 4

The next morning, I stayed in my room. A few other maids walked in and wished me a happy birthday, but that was it. Viper had left hours before I had woken up, and everyone said that he wouldn't be back until the next morning.

The day dragged on. I didn't listen to the radio as I usually did. I just sat on my bed in silence. It was at times like those when I wished that I had a smartphone, just to distract myself from the nagging silence around me, but Fede never allowed me to have one. Even if I did, I was sure I wouldn't be allowed to keep it when coming to America

Days turned to months. One of Viper's men, Diego, would visit me every day. I ended up kissing him at the end of month two. He and I got together not long after. Maids became scared of me, not talking to me as much after I started walking around with a goonie holding my waist. I didn't blame them, but I did miss having friends.

"Diego!" I yelled from my room after shutting off the TV that Diego had placed on my wall a few weeks ago. "Come here!"

"What is it, Fairy? Something wrong?" Diego came into my room and held my waist, standing me up.

"Viper was shot at his aunt's funeral. I think it was my brother. He's been in recovery ever since. I have to go to the hospital he's in. Please."

"Fairy, you know you aren't allowed out of the house. We don't know if there are any DragonBlood spies walking around. If they see you, Nighthawk will come for you. I can't let that happen." He kissed my head, a silent plea to give up, but I wouldn't.

"Diego. It's fine. I've been collecting some things for a disguise recently. I have a cap that I can use to hide my face. I can use one of your jumpers. Please. I want to see him."

"Why? What's so special about Viper? He sent men to kill your brother, who then took you here." His grip tightened on my waist. I shook my head.

"Nothing. I just want to make sure he's alright, and my brother did it. I know it!"

"Your brother did what?" A snarky voice came from the hallway, and the blonde woman attached to it appeared moments later.

"He shot your brother!"

Ludmila started to laugh.

"No. I did it. He was kissing a maid. Why would I let him stay near you?"

Diego' hands tightened on my waist again, sure to leave bruises in their wake. "Why the hell would you do that to your own brother. He is your leader as well, not just mine.

"Dee, I don't give a fuck that he's our leader. He's my brother, and I didn't like that he was getting so close to a girl that is the little sister of our enemy!" She screamed the last few words. I turned around and buried my head in Diego's chest.

"Yeah, she's Nighthawk's sister. So what, Lud? She doesn't want to go back home, and she won't." He started walking. "Come on, let's go to Viper. Maybe it'll make you feel better," he whispered to me, walking out of the room with me in his arms.

---

We walked into Viper's room, which was guarded by goonies, sworn to protect their injured leader. "What are you doing here, Violetta? You need to be doing your chores."

"Sir, there are no chores to be done. The maids and I have been the only people in the house for a few months."

"Plus Diego? And don't refer to yourself apart from the maids. That's what you are. You aren't anything different just because I've kissed you." His voice was strained, the act of speaking a clear struggle due to his injury.

"I don't stay at your house, Viper. I do go home every night." Diego rolled his eyes and pulled me close.

"So I leave for a funeral and you kiss up to someone else immediately? Someone of lower ranking at that."