Chapter 13

"So - what do we do now?"

My feet dangle over the edge of the rock, the waterfall spraying me. Felix sits next to me, throwing rocks into the water. "I'm not sure," he tells me. He throws a final rock and says, "It seems like an age ago that we came here."

I think about it. He's right . . . Home seems like a distant memory, no longer a part of my life. I can't recall what it's like to wake up in a real bed with blankets (even though my bed wasn't exactly five-star quality). I can't remember that certain smell of my own house, or even the sweet sound of my little sister's giggle. They're all gone, like a warm breeze in the beginning of spring that you enjoy while it stays, then it leaves you in the bitter cold.

For a moment, I feel like crying out. I'd do anything - anything - to get back home.

Would you? a part of me says. Would you really do anything to get back home? What about Felix?

I look at Felix. I love him, but over my own family? I had told myself that I would die for him if I had to. But then a thought comes into my mind. I imagine my family watching with horror as I sacrifice myself to save the boy from District 2 . . . Then, a little later, they are standing over my grave . . . I can't do that to my family.

I'm so torn, I actually snatch a rock off the ground and throw it in the woods with all my strength.

Then I hear a yelp.

Felix looks up, startled. "What was that?"

I realize the truth. "Somebody's been eavesdropping." Then I race into the woods.

Felix follows me. Crouched behind a bush and cradling her head is the girl from district 9.

She stumbles away and slips a knife from her belt. I remember how deadly she was in training with knives. She got a ten. I don't think district nine tributes usually get such good scores.

I also notice a scythe hanging from her belt. I'm not surprised. District nine's resource is grain.

Girl 9 raised her deadly-looking knife. "Clear!" I scream. Me and Felix jump out of the way as the knife whizzes past.

I grab an arrow from my quiver and load my bow. Girl 9 sees this. "Come help me!" she calls. At first I think she's gone crazy. Then I fill with dread.

Every last tribute except for Boy 11 - Avery, Boy 12, even Kaden - jumps into view, armed with weapons. I realize I made a foolish mistake. Boy 12 is holding a metal detector in his hand, which he must have gotten in a backpack. He found all the weapons we had hid. Why didn't I just throw the weapons off the cliff? At least nobody would find them, even if we couldn't get them back.

I curse and shoot my first arrow. Kaden's my first target. What a traitor. I saved his damn life, and he repayed me by helping the others to kill me. He ducks and the arrow flies over his head, hitting the tree behind him.

Boy 12 is holding a scythe like Girl 9's. He swings the blade at my head and I duck. He kicks me in the face and I'm thrown back. I feel a painful CRUNCH! under my back as I land hard on my quiver. Ow.

Felix knocks Girl 9's knife aside and rolls away as Kaden lashes out with a long, golden sword. Boy 12 looms above me, holding his scythe. The tips of his mouth are curled up in a cruel smile.

Boy 12 kicks my face again and knocks my bow aside. I reach for the knives at my belt, but he pins me down with his large, dirty boot and presses the air from my lungs.

Felix throws a knife at Kaden. Kaden catches it on his shoulder and his face goes paper white. I struggle under Boy 12's foot, but he presses the scythe blade to my throat. I feel blood trickling from my nose, but I can't stop it.