Angel

†A Christmas Story†

A little girl and her mother were out doing last-minute holiday shopping when the two of them happen upon a homeless man. Instantly, the little girl was struck with an idea of what to do with the money Gran had given her for Christmas. She reached into her Little Ponies handbag and as her mother watched perplexed, extracted a crisp one hundred dollar bill and proffered it to the homeless gentleman whom sheepishly accepted. But before he could speak, the little girl smiled and said; "Thank you." To which her mom speedily replied; "No honey, it should be him who says thanks, not you." "No, the little girl responded, correcting her mother; I was thanking 'him,' for his service." It was then that the mother truly noticed his tattered jacket and military insignias barely visible under the dirt, grime, and apathy the jacket had assimilated over the years. He was a veteran. She squeezed her daughter's hand firmly than fondly, pleased to be blessed with such a selfless and caring little angel, was truly amazing.

***************************
37,878 veterans were experiencing homelessness.
Veterans make up approximately 9 percent of all homeless adults.
@endhomelessness.org